GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Retrofitting Lane assist camera without changing windshield?

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
I took mine to a local sign-printing shop. They could only print 36" wide, so it required an additional "page" that I just taped to the bottom of "page 1". My camera recognized the target, but as previously discussed here, camera alignment is a challenge.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Been following this since I got the ACC retrofit on my 2019 GTI S. I gave the no glass replacement a shot but it didn’t work out with the 3Q0 camera like everyone said. Actually I couldn’t update the firmware with VCP because the camera was in initialization state due to the extended flat cable. Removing the cable made that error go away.

How has everyone printed the calibration board? You guys use a printing place like the office max, UPS/FedEx store or did you print it at home and taped the smaller sheets together? Been looking at these places to print online but I’m not seeing them being able to print the file due to the size. Any input would be appreciated.

I Printed it on a special material that they use for Outside Advertising Signs, cost me 20$ and its way more durable than any other material I Tried.

AWD4416

Ready to race!
Thanks for the suggestions. I was able to print the original file to E1 size using cutePDF, then I took that to a local FedEx place to print it out. It came out looking horrific but it worked!

The hardest part was to figure out the basic configuration to eliminate the errors. Once that was done, used ODIS with no problem. Still need more coding on it.

I do have a question, are these cameras hot to the touch? My 3Q0980654 camera was as hot as the GTI gets while sitting outside on a sunny day (did all this in the garage). Just trying to figure out if my wires are bad or flashing the camera from G to H did something. Currently no errors on the camera.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks for the suggestions. I was able to print the original file to E1 size using cutePDF, then I took that to a local FedEx place to print it out. It came out looking horrific but it worked!

The hardest part was to figure out the basic configuration to eliminate the errors. Once that was done, used ODIS with no problem. Still need more coding on it.

I do have a question, are these cameras hot to the touch? My 3Q0980654 camera was as hot as the GTI gets while sitting outside on a sunny day (did all this in the garage). Just trying to figure out if my wires are bad or flashing the camera from G to H did something. Currently no errors on the camera.

You Should've left some extra length around so your mounting solution wont disturb the calibration proccess.

The camera gets really hot, The Highest recorded Temp on mine is 90C( 195F ), and usually its around 50C ( 122F )

AWD4416

Ready to race!
Wow 😳 50c (120f), that sounds about right. Thanks again, for the info.

I would say for those doing this, get a laser level, I used a cheap $20 cube one. I put a small piece of metal in the gap between the windshield and roof to use as a stopping point and let my level sit right at the center of the camera. This help me get the target on the center. As for the height, I set the level’s laser at 130cm (this is how high the camera is on my GTI) and let the laser cut across the black circles in the center of the target. My right side of the GTI wasn’t 100% parallel to the target but it was a first time go trying to calibrate once I got every other error not related to calibration off the camera. I Kept getting a missing message error and camera not coded error. Setting the first few settings under long coding fix this for me.

AWD4416

Ready to race!
Not really following; got a photo of what you did here?

I have to say that I did replace the glass because of the 3Q0 camera but it should work the same for the people not replacing the windshield. I drew a red line because it didn't show up on the picture but you should get the idea now. This will help to center the target to the camera.

AWD4416

Ready to race!
Finally got everything programmed and working to include TJA and updated to firmware L (0610). The only thing that doesn't work reliably is the traffic sign recognition but I hear the module apparently learns. Most of the coding for the rest of the modules in the GTI can be found in different places (like XaGiCo DOSSIER) but I wanted to share my coding as it was hard to find the actual coding for the A5 module.

I have the base radio (non-Nav), LED headlights with high beam assist, and ACC (thanks Doctor). It can be a good starting point for coding on OBDeleven (actually validated this against a stock 2019 Golf R US).

Code:
Long coding firmware G or H
00 03 07 00 00 00 02 01 00 22 00 54 81 56 89 00 94 00 0E 20 01 20

Long coding firmware L
00 03 07 00 00 00 02 01 00 22 00 54 81 56 89 00 94 00 0E 20 01 20 00

Adaptions
Road sign detection fusion mode:
  Road sign detection

bsalih

Passed Driver's Ed
Been following this since I got the ACC retrofit on my 2019 GTI S. I gave the no glass replacement a shot but it didn’t work out with the 3Q0 camera like everyone said. Actually I couldn’t update the firmware with VCP because the camera was in initialization state due to the extended flat cable. Removing the cable made that error go away.

How has everyone printed the calibration board? You guys use a printing place like the office max, UPS/FedEx store or did you print it at home and taped the smaller sheets together? Been looking at these places to print online but I’m not seeing them being able to print the file due to the size. Any input would be appreciated.
I did try printing on A4 sheets and it worked. I used a box tape to make it durable. It doesn’t need to be pretty (no worries about bubbles if you use a box tape). It just works.

Regarding extended flat cable; i think the quality of the cable matters. I purchased several flat cables. I tried 10cm 15cm 20cm 25cm. 25cm did not work at all. With 20cm and 10cm cables I have got lane assist errors after some time varying between half an hour to hour and a half. One of the 15cm cables (not all of them) gave me no errors so far. So i am sticking to that. I assume as long as you are using <20cm cables And if your cable is good, you are ok. I bought the cables from ebay from china. Probably quality is not as good as it is supposed to be.

bsalih

Passed Driver's Ed
Finally got everything programmed and working to include TJA and updated to firmware L (0610). The only thing that doesn't work reliably is the traffic sign recognition but I hear the module apparently learns. Most of the coding for the rest of the modules in the GTI can be found in different places (like XaGiCo DOSSIER) but I wanted to share my coding as it was hard to find the actual coding for the A5 module.

I have the base radio (non-Nav), LED headlights with high beam assist, and ACC (thanks Doctor). It can be a good starting point for coding on OBDeleven (actually validated this against a stock 2019 Golf R US).

Code:
Long coding firmware G or H
00 03 07 00 00 00 02 01 00 22 00 54 81 56 89 00 94 00 0E 20 01 20

Long coding firmware L
00 03 07 00 00 00 02 01 00 22 00 54 81 56 89 00 94 00 0E 20 01 20 00

Adaptions
  Road sign detection

Looks like you are from Texas. Did road sign detection worked for you? I tried everything but no chance. Maybe I am doing the coding and adaptations wrong. Would you care to share your coding/adaptations for the road sign?
Thanks

AWD4416

Ready to race!
Looks like you are from Texas. Did road sign detection worked for you? I tried everything but no chance. Maybe I am doing the coding and adaptations wrong. Would you care to share your coding/adaptations for the road sign?
Thanks

So far the camera picks up a local highway number sign an displays it as speed limit of 90 😂 . It did pick up a 30 and 50 MPH sign but that was before I got my coding 100%. I'm hoping its still learning as it takes a few drives between applying changes and something showing up on the Dash. I think the accuracy will improve over time as one of the adaption channels called Adaption_tsr has a setting called Par_country_mode set to Automatic. My guess is if we knew what the different country codes the module accepts, we could just flip to that but so far I have not found any info on this. Check out the link below for a conversation on the vortex about TSR. It has some additional settings for module 5F, the setting "5F Byte 24, Activate Bit 6" don't apply to me because of the non-Nav head unit. Below are what I think are the actual important settings. There are other settings related to TSR on the radar-13 and dashboard-17 but I don't think they apply.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?9109361-Traffic-Sign-Assist-works-on-2018-R-in-NA

Code:
Using OBDeleven go to long coding

Module A5

Byte 01
 Bit 0 - Traffic Sign Recognition (FTE) active
Byte 16
 Bit 4 - Traffic sign recognition VZE

Adaptions
  Road sign detection

Module 17

Byte 05
 Bit 2 - Traffic Sign Recognition Installed

AWD4416

Ready to race!
Wanted to elaborate a bit on Traffic Jam Assist (TJA) as a lot of people talk about it but I haven’t read someone describe it in action.

My experience so far after enabling TJA. It makes the adaptive lane guidance (this is enabled on top of lane assist by turning on a few bits, it in my coding) available when ACC is set to speeds below 40MPH (I think this is when my lane assist turns on/green). So far I had it going while on a school zone at 25MPH. It makes the GTI feel like an autonomous vehicle, crazy 😂. But as far as I know, you can only get Traffic Jam Assist programmed by uploading the settings via VCP. I have not heard of a file being available for use with ODIS but I’m sure it’s out there.

AWD4416

Ready to race!
Been playing around with the TSR. I was so wrong on my assumption regarding the adaption channels Par_country_mode. I tried changing this setting and I was not able to. Tried the security code, changing the session type to VW diagnostic still no go.

I did do another calibration after the TSR coding. I think it improved the recognition but I'm still not able to get it to recognize speed limit signs in Texas. I'm pretty sure they all use the same font across the US. But it does pick up my local high way sign as a speed sign more consistently 🤣.