GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MAPerformance downpipe loose again..

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
Hey guys. So it looks like the old MAP group buy thread has been deactivated so this discussion isn’t really going anymore.

Fired up the rig this morning to the wonderful sound of air billowing out from directly beneath my car. I’m all too familiar with this sound at this point, as the clamp connecting the MAP midpipe and the stock catback is most certainly loose again. Exhaust note is notably more audible, and I can even hear the pipe rattle at certain RPMS.

It’s been “loose” for a little while now, but not this bad. It only stays tight (to the point where I can’t hear air blowing out of it and 100% of the exhaust note is coming from the rear) for a month or so tops.

Anyone with this part experiencing this ? If so, has anyone come up with a more permanent solution to for themselves to date? I really want to get to go the bottom of this as it just sounds so cheap and it’s really unfortunate that such an integral part requires so much “maintenance.”

I know we’ve gone over things like having a friend push the muffler forward while tightening, and even wrapping the smaller pipe with heatwrap to create a more snug fit, but clearly these things don’t last. Any input / discussion is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
So I tackled this the other day. Loosened the clamp a LOT. Separated the pipes. Went to the back of the car. Pushed muffler forward and jamed piece of wood to keep it forward (this was mainly for the BMS tips to keep them tucked).

Slathered (used most of the tube) the muffler sealant over both pipes. Made sure none got inside either pipe (a little did so I wiped it out with my finger) and then slid the clamp back over the sections. Some sealant got caught and curled over clamp, that's fine got lots under it. Clamped it down. Front, back, front back, front back until SUPER snug...may have bent a bolt...didn't care. Smoothed sealant that got caught over front and back edges of clamp to make super seal.

It's held so far this week. Will let you know if it breaks loose.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

HicBuda

Ready to race!
I wound up buying a new clamp and it never loosened up after that. i bought one cuz the original had gotten warped from me tightening the shit out of it every time I tried something new.

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
https://www.verociousmotorsports.co...Clamps/EasySeal-Exhaust-Clamp-Stainless-Steel

Here you go, don’t mind the “lap joint” listing I’ve ordered several of these and they are in fact for butt connections like you’d need.

The OEM clamp is so thick it doesn’t conform to the slightly different size of your dp/the OEM catback (which is slightly bigger than 2.5”)

Awesome.. this looks like it’d fit perfect. What size would you recommend ? 2.75” or 3”? Or would it just be the 2.5”

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
So I tackled this the other day. Loosened the clamp a LOT. Separated the pipes. Went to the back of the car. Pushed muffler forward and jamed piece of wood to keep it forward (this was mainly for the BMS tips to keep them tucked).

Slathered (used most of the tube) the muffler sealant over both pipes. Made sure none got inside either pipe (a little did so I wiped it out with my finger) and then slid the clamp back over the sections. Some sealant got caught and curled over clamp, that's fine got lots under it. Clamped it down. Front, back, front back, front back until SUPER snug...may have bent a bolt...didn't care. Smoothed sealant that got caught over front and back edges of clamp to make super seal.

It's held so far this week. Will let you know if it breaks loose.

Thanks diggs. Link to the sealant? Also I still don’t understand how to use the wood to hold the muffler. Can’t envision it

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
I wound up buying a new clamp and it never loosened up after that. i bought one cuz the original had gotten warped from me tightening the shit out of it every time I tried something new.

Lmao yup sounds typical

Dubstro

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 2dr GTI 6MT
Sounds like a real pain but thanks for starting the thread. I'm installing my MAP catted dp tomorrow. Guess I know to be prepared for the clamp to loosen. Will look into one of the above clamps.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Thanks diggs. Link to the sealant? Also I still don’t understand how to use the wood to hold the muffler. Can’t envision it

Go lean under back of car. Push muffler and watch the hangars that hold it. As it sits normally they are right in the middle so it can rock back and forth as needed. Push it forward and the tips will go in an inch or 2. The hangars will be all the way forward. Jam a foot long piece of wood at and angle between the muffler and the ground so to keep it in that position while you work.

A2MK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Funny you say this I have the Catless downpipe and my clamp popped off while I was on the 91 freeway, So I got a taste of what is was like to drive 10 min to my house light to light with no exhaust :rolleyes:. Once I got home I just cranked on it and I haven't had any problems since. Although that 42DD clamp looks awesome I might order one tonight.

BananaSlug

Ready to race!

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
Gunna have to get my hands on a new one. Just tightened mine up tonight and yeah.. it was a bitch to say the least.
Sounds like a real pain but thanks for starting the thread. I'm installing my MAP catted dp tomorrow. Guess I know to be prepared for the clamp to loosen. Will look into one of the above clamps.
No problem man. I knew there was no way I was/was going to be the only one experiencing this. Felt needed since all of the discussion regarding this stuff isn't accessible anymore.
Go lean under back of car. Push muffler and watch the hangars that hold it. As it sits normally they are right in the middle so it can rock back and forth as needed. Push it forward and the tips will go in an inch or 2. The hangars will be all the way forward. Jam a foot long piece of wood at and angle between the muffler and the ground so to keep it in that position while you work.

Figured it out. Thanks again.
Funny you say this I have the Catless downpipe and my clamp popped off while I was on the 91 freeway, So I got a taste of what is was like to drive 10 min to my house light to light with no exhaust :rolleyes:. Once I got home I just cranked on it and I haven't had any problems since. Although that 42DD clamp looks awesome I might order one tonight.
Sounds... good right? :rolleyes:
I had the same issue, so I bought a new clamp. I installed it last weekend and the rattling went away. Hopefully the rattle is gone for good this time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077TH84KG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just ordered this one up.. looks perfect and it's on prime so I should get it Saturday. Thanks for the link!

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
FYI the clamps just like these can be found at your local auto parts store, Advance has them instock at my local store. $12 and no wait

For exhaust mated to stock parts you want 2.5”

Here’s one we got from advanced a few weeks ago for a Vibrant resonator install I did. I moved it a few times and cranked it down to stretch it out (that’s why there’s line creased in two places)

The gap between the dp and CBE is very tight (about a 1/4”) and once it conformed to the slight difference in size from stretching it out it’s not going anywhere