GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler performance

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
So what is the Baun Performance kit good for hp wise? 4-500? 550?

Vibrant rates it at 550hp

Based off everything I’ve seen about 400whp or is where it’s going to start logging less efficiently with a Hybrid.

The one customer who’s had one since way back with an APR EFR 7163 & MPI says it keeps up amazingly with his car, which is 500whp

(reply continued below)

Who knows the limit on HP. There isn't an IC that's good for X amount of HP.

This.

If all things were always equal and everyone made 550hp on 6psi of boost from a twin PTE 66mm turbskis hanging off their LS9 on E85 with a nice cam and heads then yes, intercooler ratings could be generally accurate.

BUT, some of us drive a 2 liter making 30psi from a 51mm turbo that’s melting poplar ice caps for breakfast.

I’m lucky enough to have some great data coming in from literally all over the US, but even I can’t put an exact number on it as there’re so many variables.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
BUT, some of us drive a 2 liter making 30psi from a 51mm turbo that’s melting poplar ice caps for breakfast.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Vibrant rates it at 550hp

Based off everything I’ve seen about 400whp or is where it’s going to start logging less efficiently with a Hybrid.

The one customer who’s had one since way back with an APR EFR 7163 & MPI says it keeps up amazingly with his car, which is 500whp

(reply continued below)

This.

If all things were always equal and everyone made 550hp on 6psi of boost from a twin PTE 66mm turbskis hanging off their LS9 on E85 with a nice cam and heads then yes, intercooler ratings could be generally accurate.

I’m lucky enough to have some great data coming in from literally all over the US, but even I can’t put an exact number on it as there’re so many variables.
Ya i mean for a daily making 4-500 is fine. Thats what I thought. All my logs show it works every time log after log.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
1. You have no idea how it fits. APR fits like a glove.
2. Does it cool well? Sure it flows well but can it cool? I've seen one of those knockoff ebay ones (don't recall which one as there are quite a few now) that did a piss poor job of an IS20 on JB4. Piss poor. Wasn't much better than stock. I bet it flowed well though. Do you really think do88 found magic? I don't. If I'm getting direct fit and I have to decide flow vs cooling I pick cooling. Front mount? I lean towards flow.

Unfortunately there is only flow data here so no way to say how these things cool. We know that these in the middle perform well in such that we have track data to show it. I mean if pacdawg can get his Tomioka Uni IC car to run 10.8@128 it must be doing just fine. Pretty sure the 9 second APR car runs an APR IC. The Puerto Rican 9 second R guy runs an AMS. Go with what is known.
I just have to say that do88 is a good company that has been known in Sweden for making the best silicone hoses for a long time and what Koenigsegg uses for their cars, they also design and develope all bolt on products in house so I would not worry about fitment.

Also someone with a vortex XL running 32 psi posted 4 back to back logs to mygolfmk7.com that looks pretty good to me.

http://mygolfmk7.com/2020/05/do88-iat-logs/

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I just have to say that do88 is a good company that has been known in Sweden for making the best silicone hoses for a long time and what Koenigsegg uses for their cars, they also design and develope all bolt on products in house so I would not worry about fitment.

Also someone with a vortex XL running 32 psi posted 4 back to back logs to mygolfmk7.com that looks pretty good to me.

http://mygolfmk7.com/2020/05/do88-iat-logs/
Doesn't look any better than my IE.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
How's your wastegate actuator duty doing with Baun Performance FMIC?

I saw roughly a 3-5% gain in WG duty after install of the IC on my IS20. It’s insignificant enough that it could be chalked up to ambient temperature difference.

My WG duty while running the hybrid has been fine.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Doesn't look any better than my IE.
No your IE logs has always looked great and many older customers seems happy so if I had to guess to what som of the problem is that IE went to a different core supplier a while ago but I am just guessing.

Regarding the do88 intercooler I just wanted to clarify for people that it is a good company.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Diggs I’ve never really disagreed with you on anything, but you going on the defensive for IE when we’re all just discussing other options is pretty fanboy-ish of you.

Do88 being a good direct replacement doesn’t belittle you for owning IE.

Me pointing out Hybrids don’t flow anywhere near as well as full frame BT isn’t saying it’s a bad thing you own a hybrid...it’s looking at facts. Not everyone wants to spend BT money, but in the long run hurting the stock internals with excessive heat & pressure from a hybrid isn’t cheap either (ask Hoon, Railroader, or Twist).

I’m here pointing things out to help people make a informed decision based on facts. Just saying IE & a 475 is the end all solution isn’t looking at the big picture, it’s just your good experience with those parts.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
The ratio being so far from 1:1 literally has an effect on everything including IAT. I’m not an engineer as I assume you are, so I can’t fall back on the math or vocabulary words for this one, but based on my practical experience in Aviation, diesel, and gas forced induction performance high drive pressure is a big deal in a negative way because high drive pressure is the RESULT of an inefficient turbo not the cause of it.

The problem is the direct replacements are horribly inefficient. That’s why on a sub 400hp mk7 my FMIC performs equal to or better than direct replacement at just over half the size. Fighting indirect airflow and radiant heat from two other heat exchangers will do that. The companies who say “dIrEcT RePlaCmEntS aRe BeTtEr” are selling direct replacements...looking out for sales bottom dollar, not what performs best.

An equally sized FMIC compared to a direct replacement would be no comparison

I wouldn’t, that’s why I don’t have one.

If my car made over 400whp I’d have a larger FMIC.

Regarding the exhaust pressure affecting IAT, you're asking me to believe you because of your practical experience but you haven't given any explanation for how one affects the other.

yes, I'm an engineer, gas turbines were one subject I had the opportunity to study. Believing what you say is tough without any explanation for how one is affecting the other. Your explanation doesn't need to be derived through formulas, or using subject specific terms, but some sort of description for how the exhaust pressure is driving up IAT would be helpful. You have essentially said, believe me because I say so.