GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
I have covered this before...

The Octavia has the exhaust back box in a different area so that cover will NOT fit our car as our exhaust back box hangs down & is in the way.

The other "blanking cover" on the opposite side is already there from the factory on our cars..if you don't have it you are missing a trim part...

FYI I recently saw a Golf with fitted cover for the end of the exhaust system (likely 5G9825205E ). It was pre-facelift wagon labeled as TSI (without red letters) Bluemotion so it likely means 1.2 petrol engine. It has different design of the exhaust with just one tip so there is enough space to fit the cover. So engine matters rather than manufacturer within konzern.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
FYI I recently saw a Golf with fitted cover for the end of the exhaust system (likely 5G9825205E ). It was pre-facelift wagon labeled as TSI (without red letters) Bluemotion so it likely means 1.2 petrol engine. It has different design of the exhaust with just one tip so there is enough space to fit the cover. So engine matters rather than manufacturer within konzern.

I have never see that part for a MK7/7.5 Golf estate on ETKA....it might have been a newer Passat?...the Passat has a single large "felt" cover which covers the exhaust, the spare wheel well, & the far right plastic cover space (twin exhaust box cavity)...

But again it won't fit as the Passat has a deeper bumper & the exhaust is "up" more, away from the cover...

Please if you have info to prove me wrong please post it..I've been looking into the aero covers for 5yrs now & I'll love to have a cover for a few other areas!..

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
I have never see that part for a MK7/7.5 Golf estate on ETKA....it might have been a newer Passat?...the Passat has a single large "felt" cover which covers the exhaust, the spare wheel well, & the far right plastic cover space (twin exhaust box cavity)...

But again it won't fit as the Passat has a deeper bumper & the exhaust is "up" more, away from the cover...

Please if you have info to prove me wrong please post it..I've been looking into the aero covers for 5yrs now & I'll love to have a cover for a few other areas!..
I can see it in Etka. It only says that it fits Bluemotion with regular rear axle...in other word, with low power gasoline.
rear exhaust cover.jpg

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I can see it in Etka. It only says that it fits Bluemotion with regular rear axle...in other word, with low power gasoline.
View attachment 177790

I have the part from the factory....That part is on the passenger side in USA/Europe & is standard fit...there is NO exhaust there..only on the "R" version & others with twin exhaust boxes do not get that part....

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I have the skid tray from this guide installed... a couple shops have asked about it, they thought it was cool even though it caused them a tiny bit of extra work. I never noticed that rear area cover for the twist beam from Part III though. I'm interested but I wonder if the Unibrace UBQ rear mounting is going to interfere. Luckily the part is only $20 so I'll probably order it anyway.

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
I have the part from the factory....That part is on the passenger side in USA/Europe & is standard fit...there is NO exhaust there..only on the "R" version & others with twin exhaust boxes do not get that part....
Perhaps we are talking about different parts. It the Etka scheme/picture I’ve posted, the cover is located on the right side and is labeled with index D or F, depending on model year. The remark „vpravo“means „right“ in my language. This part is fitted from factory on every wagon I have ever seen. However, item no. (33) in brackets is „vlevo“ which means „left“. It is quite common in Etka than only one side is displayed and notes in the remark column specifies further location/use.

I’m 100% confident the cover exists, I saw it factory fitted on Golf with kinder benzin engines and Etka confirms it despite the evidence is a bit hidden. However, I don’t know how common those tiny engines in developed markets are. In the CEE, it’s almost everywhere (cheap corporate fleet) and the engine was made and I think that even designed here in the Czech Republic.

However, one cannot fit it on more powerfull engines (likely above 90kW) due to bigger exhaust system and rear axle style so it won’t serve you and me but may serve the others.

But you cannot say that it won’t fit to Golf or only to Octavia. It is true that it fits more Octavias than Golfs as vast majority of gasoline Octavias were made with simple rear axle while in case of Golfs the power threshold when a car is equipped with multilink rear axle is much lower due to konzern sell-side policy.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Ok I was tired last night, & couldn't find the original info that I had used to write this thread 5yrs ago, so here goes:-!!!

Start from Basics:-
Stand behind car looking at exhausts, & there are two main types:-
1. twin exhaust boxes, with one outlet on left side & one on right side.
2. single exhaust box with one outlet on left side & aero cover for now empty exhaust box cavity on right side.

ETKA parts diagrams:-
The aero cover for the cavity on the right side is:-
5G9-825-205B (for cars built after 28/04/2014)
5G9-825-205D (for cars built before 28/04/2014)

There is also this item:-
5G9-825-205E (for cars built after 04/11/2013)

ALL the above items are listed as "right side" under Item No 33 in the ETKA Drawing No. 825-000 (VW being as helpful as ever...NOT).

So is the "E" rights side or left side & can we fit it to our cars?

To make matters worse NONE of the above covers are shown in the ERWIN official workshop manuals!!

PR codes:-
Parts ending "B" & "D" have the following PR codes:-
0F5 = fuel system for diesel engine.
1A4 = fuel system multifuel.
1A5 = fuel system for fuel-injected engine.
1A7 = fuel system for fuel-injected engine (tropicalized)
1A8 = diesel plus fuel system with water trap.
4P3 = rear floor panel module, type 4

Parts ending "E" have the following PR codes:-
0N1 = standard rear axle
FM1 = Bluemotion Variant.

Again not 100% clear except that "E" is for the basic torsion beam rear axle, & "Bluemotion Variant".
However, Bluemotion is tagged to even my 1.4lt 140/150PS engines, however the only full "Bluemotion" trim spec was the 1lt petrol, & the 1.6lt diesel.

Cross referencing:-
Looking at the workshop manuals for the exhaust systems & cross checking it with the ETKA parts drawings gives a fuller picture:-
1. ALL the low powered 1lt & 1.2lt petrol engines, & 1.6lt diesel engines have the torsion beam rear axle.
2. ALL these same engines in the estate have a rear exhaust box across the car under the rear seat area as the torsion beam axle makes more space there for it.
3. ALL these same engines in the estate have ONLY a pipe running from under the rear seat area past the rear wheel & exiting the rear bumper.

Conclusion:-
1. ALL cars with the rear torsion beam (& lower engine spec) will have the same rear "pipe" exhaust system & thus "should" have the "E" trim panel fitted from factory (as shown the the MK3 Skoda Octavia picture)
2. ALL cars with the rear multi-link axle (& higher engine spec) have an exhaust box which fills this area & thus the "E" trim part CANNOT be fitted as the exhaust box hangs down in the way.

I hope this puts the matter to rest. I can only think I did not mention it as it can only be fitted to cars which should have it from the factory, & cannot be retro fitted to any other specification cars. I might post this above info in the front section of this thread to add clarity, as its causing headaches!!!

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
Firstly I admire your job and research done it the whole undercover topic so I don’t want to argue. Maybe it could be a mistake in Czech version of Etka (interestingly, a lot of the undercovers are being made here) but it says that E is left side.

Secondly, I made a mistake in my post above. Right side cover are labeled D of F (not E – corrected it already, to be in line with the scheme). E is left side and a core of the current discussion. Sorry for that.

You conclusion is right! We may close it and I also doubt that anybody with that cheap tiny engine would like to invest a fortune to tune up the floor underneath the trunk so no need to modify the front section which is cioherent and excellent! I think a common sense would serve the best in that case – just bend and take a look on exhaust. If there is only one exhaust tip and no muffler under the bumper, that there should be enough space to fit the left cover 5G9825205E. With bigger engines and logically also exhaust system, there is of course not enough space to fit it.

Btw. In my country, “Bluemotion” is the fuel saving version of cars - so weak engine and aerodynamic package already from factory. It used to be 1.2TSI before it was superseded by three cylinder 1.0TSI. “Bluemotion technology” or BMT is label of almost every car, meaning I don’t know what exactly, but for sure that the car is equipped with that wicked generator and battery charging system.

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
Just a small hint – found the 5Q0825206K cover for a decent price and decided to give it a chance but discovered that there is one strut missing to fix the cover – the one next to the left wheel. There is just a hole. It was full of dirt and as the hole has some kind of collar from the inside, fitting any fixing point like hex self-tapping screw from the other side would be challenging also given limited space. Removal of wheel or a visit to equiped service looks likely.
IMG_20200630_220819086.jpg

B3mt1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 2.0TDI Hatch '16
Ok I was tired last night, & couldn't find the original info that I had used to write this thread 5yrs ago, so here goes:-!!!

Start from Basics:-
Stand behind car looking at exhausts, & there are two main types:-
1. twin exhaust boxes, with one outlet on left side & one on right side.
2. single exhaust box with one outlet on left side & aero cover for now empty exhaust box cavity on right side.

ETKA parts diagrams:-
The aero cover for the cavity on the right side is:-
5G9-825-205B (for cars built after 28/04/2014)
5G9-825-205D (for cars built before 28/04/2014)

There is also this item:-
5G9-825-205E (for cars built after 04/11/2013)

ALL the above items are listed as "right side" under Item No 33 in the ETKA Drawing No. 825-000 (VW being as helpful as ever...NOT).

So is the "E" rights side or left side & can we fit it to our cars?

To make matters worse NONE of the above covers are shown in the ERWIN official workshop manuals!!

PR codes:-
Parts ending "B" & "D" have the following PR codes:-
0F5 = fuel system for diesel engine.
1A4 = fuel system multifuel.
1A5 = fuel system for fuel-injected engine.
1A7 = fuel system for fuel-injected engine (tropicalized)
1A8 = diesel plus fuel system with water trap.
4P3 = rear floor panel module, type 4

Parts ending "E" have the following PR codes:-
0N1 = standard rear axle
FM1 = Bluemotion Variant.

Again not 100% clear except that "E" is for the basic torsion beam rear axle, & "Bluemotion Variant".
However, Bluemotion is tagged to even my 1.4lt 140/150PS engines, however the only full "Bluemotion" trim spec was the 1lt petrol, & the 1.6lt diesel.

Cross referencing:-
Looking at the workshop manuals for the exhaust systems & cross checking it with the ETKA parts drawings gives a fuller picture:-
1. ALL the low powered 1lt & 1.2lt petrol engines, & 1.6lt diesel engines have the torsion beam rear axle.
2. ALL these same engines in the estate have a rear exhaust box across the car under the rear seat area as the torsion beam axle makes more space there for it.
3. ALL these same engines in the estate have ONLY a pipe running from under the rear seat area past the rear wheel & exiting the rear bumper.

Conclusion:-
1. ALL cars with the rear torsion beam (& lower engine spec) will have the same rear "pipe" exhaust system & thus "should" have the "E" trim panel fitted from factory (as shown the the MK3 Skoda Octavia picture)
2. ALL cars with the rear multi-link axle (& higher engine spec) have an exhaust box which fills this area & thus the "E" trim part CANNOT be fitted as the exhaust box hangs down in the way.

I hope this puts the matter to rest. I can only think I did not mention it as it can only be fitted to cars which should have it from the factory, & cannot be retro fitted to any other specification cars. I might post this above info in the front section of this thread to add clarity, as its causing headaches!!!
Just to add little bit more clarity here is the picture of underbody and its covers.
IMG_20200701_000446.jpg
At the moment my 2.0tdi looks same as on this picture from one benchmarking company.
So from what are you saying I am missing 5G9-825-205B and could install it on my 2.0tdi MY2016?

Edit: here are also several other MQB underbody pictures, sadly Octavia on 4x4 version
Skoda_Octavia_Combi_1.6_TDi_4x4_Elegance_2014.jpg Audi_A3_1.4_TFSi_Attraction_2013.jpgVolkswagen_Golf_VII_1.4_TSi_Comfortline_2013.jpg

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just to add little bit more clarity here is the picture of underbody and its covers.
View attachment 178307
At the moment my 2.0tdi looks same as on this picture from one benchmarking company.
So from what are you saying I am missing 5G9-825-205B and could install it on my 2.0tdi MY2016?

Edit: here are also several other MQB underbody pictures, sadly Octavia on 4x4 version
View attachment 178342 View attachment 178343View attachment 178344
Where did you get those from??.

cover B should be fitted from factory to all single exhaust 2lt diesel estates.....look at the picture of the octavia..opposite the exhaust back box is a cover you should have similar, just look under the car...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just a small hint – found the 5Q0825206K cover for a decent price and decided to give it a chance but discovered that there is one strut missing to fix the cover – the one next to the left wheel. There is just a hole. It was full of dirt and as the hole has some kind of collar from the inside, fitting any fixing point like hex self-tapping screw from the other side would be challenging also given limited space. Removal of wheel or a visit to equiped service looks likely.View attachment 178306

Thats for a weld on bolt thread/stud....

& that part is already in the first page on this thread as the rear exhaust cover & has instructions on how to fit it....

QUOTE:-
This item covers the exhaust area where it bends around between the fuel tank & the rear wheel, by joining onto the fuel tank & the big under tray for the side of the car. The part code is 5Q0 825 206C, although ETKA says the product has been superseded by version "K". The item still has "C" moulded onto it, & is stickered over with "K" on the ID sticker! ETKA describes this rear trim as "production ceased 2013, replacement part is K". So no warnings like “do not refit as dangerous”, “no replacement part”, “see technical product info” etc., etc..
END QUOTE

shorty_cz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf 1-7
Thanks, I’ve read the post with patience. Does it mean that I have to weld something there if I decide to fit the cover?...and you did it as well?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks, I’ve read the post with patience. Does it mean that I have to weld something there if I decide to fit the cover?...and you did it as well?

My car had the weld stud in place from factory....& most other cars also have it in place...you could just use a nut & bolt...or get the weld stud from VW get someone to weld it in place.

B3mt1

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 2.0TDI Hatch '16
Where did you get those from??.

cover B should be fitted from factory to all single exhaust 2lt diesel estates.....look at the picture of the octavia..opposite the exhaust back box is a cover you should have similar, just look under the car...
Not public source :)

Yep, I jumped the gun little bit too soon, I have hatch and not estate and per ETKA there is no cover there and also no cover on my car. On hatch MK7 bottom of rear bumper is barebone.
IMG_20200701_123624.jpg