GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heat problems on track: TECH. Read before adding an oil cooler!

Redslaya

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Thanks for the analysis. If anything the oil cooler may have been working more efficiently based on how quickly the temps would drop back down to 180 (the thermostat's bottom line) after doing some back to back pulls. That does make sense as now the air that has passed through the cooler is forced to leave in a specific way, rather than just "hanging around" in the open space between the cooler and the radiator stack.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Forgot the thread where you were compiling data. Probably not useful since not a Golf R. Was running E39.

Attachments

• Log-20230807-171958 MSR Cresson - West 1.3 Mile CCW.txt
    21 bytes · Views: 40

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
So @Redslaya came over last night to pick up some tires and pay me in data 🤣

For reference: He had just driven ~1hr prior to arriving at my place (so clearly all fluids/etc fully up to temperature). Once again in these logs it's worth noting that the "oil temp" reading is NOT accurate since it is a "modeled" temp, and the dash reads actual. For the record his oil temp sits at about 180-185F at all times under normal driving, and we never saw over 190F throughout this ~25min long log. Entire drive was with AC OFF. Ambient temp was logged as staying between 75-78F for the entire drive.

Started out at about 49-50F over ambient temps (he was parked in front of my place for maybe ~3 min before we left and started logging):

1691582573358.png

Got on the highway, and after a ~1min on the highway for temps to stabilize, we end up with IATs averaging only 12F over ambient. They remained between 84-94F the entire time, while ambient was 76-78F for this particular 200 second snip.

1691582693498.png

Edit: @Redslaya just corrected me - these are indeed all third gear pulls (wouldn't be hitting 90mph in 2nd gear). There's an update in Simos Tools and for some reason the gear position reads off - I believe he needs to change the ratios in the settings page.

1691583335294.png

1691583460829.png

Histogram of min values seen for the entire test drive:

1691583559624.png

Even the weighted averages (of every single time we went WOT) are lower than any of the previous results:

1691583626946.png

So in a nutshell:

1691583719285.png

Once @Redslaya gets his final aluminum duct built (this was the cardboard prototype being used for validation), testing of that will be happening on track later this month.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Just chiming in to say that I just got a new condenser installed at ~94K/5 years...did some logging this week...my IATs around town and during WOT are notably lower than with the old condenser. I realize this is a bit of a duh thing but airflow matters.

Last edited:

Redslaya

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Just chiming in to say that I just got a new condenser installed at ~94K/5 years...did some logging this week...my IATs around town and during WOT are notably lower than with the old condenser. I realize this is a but of a duh thing but airflow matters.
I had my condenser replaced a few months ago before my warranty expired. The old one was totally trashed from road debris. I added some 1/4" chicken mesh to my grill and painted it black and after 15k miles the condenser still looks new

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I had my condenser replaced a few months ago before my warranty expired. The old one was totally trashed from road debris. I added some 1/4" chicken mesh to my grill and painted it black and after 15k miles the condenser still looks new
Mine was trashed. I may look into your chicken wire mesh grille idea to keep this one fresh!

How did you attach it?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Zip ties. The only down side is you have to pick the bigger bugs out of it every so often.
View attachment 287900
Ok, purchased some 1/4" opening wire mesh with some black spray paint.....they make this sutff in black too but I couldn't find it without buying a ton of it. Also I saw this kind...not sure about the flow here vs. the wire. I'll give it a go today.

Capture.JPG

tigeo

Autocross Champion

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Your hard work is very much appreciated, and @Redslaya ! I'm going to be incorporating your findings and designs into the cooling updates for my car :)

I don't think he said it in here, but @Redslaya will be releasing the design for public use once final fitment/assembly/track testing validates it works. As long as you have a 19 row Series 6 Setrab cooler, it'll work. He is getting it cut/bent/etc everything for <$100 out of aluminum.

One other neat benefit to doing this, is you could VERY easily cut another rectangle out of plastic, drill 4 holes in it + the bumper cover and "seal off" the duct outlet to essentially stall the airflow through the cooler in the wintertime, to encourage faster warmup time. Wouldn't require removing the bumper, etc at all.

Redslaya

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I don't think he said it in here, but @Redslaya will be releasing the design for public use once track testing validates it works. As long as you have a 19 row Series 6 Setrab cooler, it'll work. He is getting it cut/bent/etc everything for <$100 out of aluminum.

One other neat benefit to doing this, is you could VERY easily cut another rectangle out of plastic, drill 4 holes in it + the bumper cover and "seal off" the duct outlet to essentially stall the airflow through the cooler in the wintertime, to encourage faster warmup time. Wouldn't require removing the bumper, etc at all.

yup, the files will be released under a CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 license - you can use em, modify them, add on, etc. you just cant sell them! So if you have a different size cooler and some basic CAD skills you can adapt it to your vehicle. I am having it made through sendcutsend.com. 5052 H32 Aluminum (.063"), cut,bent, deburred, and shipped for $96 . all i have to do is rivet it together and then trim the bottom chute to size.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I don't even have an oil cooler and I'm really feeling like my Mishimoto IC isn't cooling like it should. These cars just weren't designed to be tracked.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
I think the main issue is that our IC is located behind the AC condenser and everything else... mayor design flaw in my opinion for a "sports" car, just like on the S3. They fixed it for the RS3... and as far as I know all the other S RS vehicles have a FMIC, so that may be one of the problems.

On a side note, I seen a few water to air IC on MK6s, has no one tried this on the MK7? It would be way easier to use the intercooler delete brackets from ECS and fab up a mount for a big heat exchanger radiator which will nullify heat soak. This is what Nelson is doing on his 2000+ LS engines with a small water to air intercooler inside the intake manifold.