GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Easier heel toe for my arthritic ankle

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk8 GTI
Old guy mod alert. I’ve been struggling to consistently heel toe in my Mk8 GTi, even after adding the WCT spacer.

My right ankle has had four different surgeries and now has quite a bit of arthritis in it, so my flexibility in that joint is pretty much done, unless the doctors end up replacing the joint like they’re talking about.

I can heel toe, fairly easily when I’m driving at 7/10ths, but day to day commuting, I just don’t have the ankle flexibility to get my foot rolled onto the go pedal, unless I’m on the brakes more aggressively. Aggressive brake applications are rare in my daily commute, so I had been looking for an alternative.

I bought a set of universal Sparco pedals and worked them over with some red paint and black bedliner. Don’t look too close, because the masking line didn’t work out as well as I’d planned. I might end up buying another pedal set and having them Cerakoted by a local shop.

I did have to do some minor dremel work due to the placement of the pedal and the design of the OEM throttle pedal arm.

I can finally get my foot rolled to blip the throttle when I’m just driving like a normal human being. It made a huge difference for me and now I just need to figure out how the separate the cosmetic top piece from the hard rubber boots on the other two pedals. I’d like to retain the safety features that keep your foot from getting caught under the brake and clutch. If I can’t figure that out, I’ll just bolt them down like I did on the right pedal.
IMG_2367.jpeg

IMG_2369.jpeg

IMG_2365.jpeg

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
Nice looking pedal set up! I agree that this mod makes a world of difference vs just the pedal spacer. Combined, I bet it would be perfect for street driving. Congrats!