GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

MrFabulous

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport
Lower Ball Joint tool.
Does anyone know of a good alternative to the factory VAG tool to pop the lower ball joint?
I don't have a specific reference, I've had good luck with some of the Schwaben branded tools. I think the one I have is from Lisle or something off Amazon. I haven't tried it yet on the GTI but on other cars I've never really been able to get the ball joints to pop with the tool alone. Once broke the tool on a Miata using as intended, after that I usually load it up and whack it with a hammer. The shock seems to be effective.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Yup. The shock of a 4lb hammer is the normal gentle persuasion required. Works well on steel uprights.

Im a little reluctant on an aluminum upright. I’ve smacked a ball joint directly when I intend to replace it.

Last edited:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Carbon Cleaning
Just completed a walnut carbon cleaning on my intake valves. Made a few newbie mistakes. Do not pull the wand out as it will make a HUGE mess. Pretty much went through 10lbs of media per intake. Fortunately i was able to recycle the media from my shop vac. Make sure you have a good shop vac. Having a second person definitely helps. My GF handled the vacuum attachment while i operated the media blaster. Wear a face mask. Thank you covid supplies and eye protection. Refilling the tank from the shop vac slowed me down. Having a full 20lbs load of walnut shells will speed things up.
You are working blind so do short blasts. Assess where you still need to blast and plan accordingly. Long blasts will eat through media fast.

My intakes were not bad considering i had 100k on my engine.

BD9D8A7A-AD6B-4727-864A-1F727D6DFC9F.jpeg
83FE2F86-F030-4DA8-8812-E26A61CC56E8.jpeg
5F654B52-2C05-4BD9-BDFD-6119F08E0515.jpeg
F7929488-2C4A-40C1-A626-EDA450D3B474.jpeg
42C47B7E-BB57-46F4-9008-B1C77FE83475.jpeg

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Props to your GF. She's a keeper.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Any before shots? Mine at 75K looked ok as well but had it done when they did the water pump. Carbon build up *I think* is much less on cars that are driven hard.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Before the Carbon Cleaning
I‘d say that #1 and #4 were the worst with #4 having the worst buildup. #2 was the cleanest followed by #3. The after photos above show #3 intake.

45F509F8-074B-443B-B6B6-430F415A2B40.jpeg

0A9DA35C-7383-4F95-8616-B95CC29417F0.jpeg

6D5FC492-B97B-4BD6-8395-25741532DB49.jpeg

F70019D4-8E99-4A19-91C7-371BD8FBEC23.jpeg

MrFabulous

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport
Yup. The shock of a 4lb hammer is the normal gentle persuasion required. Works well on steel uprights.

Im a little reluctant on an aluminum upright. I’ve smacked a ball joint directly when I intend to replace it.
Good point, the previous vehicles have had non-aluminum uprights. I'll test it soon enough, the whole front end is coming apart to be upgraded and I have to start soon to make the first event. I have new ball joints but I'll test the method for science and pretend I'm saving the old ball joints.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Wow, really minor and again, your car is driven hard/track use which goes towards validating my hypothesis that hard driving really reduces the carbon buildup!

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I think it does. Plus I’ve run a catch can from early in the cars life.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Barber Motorsports Park
Finally got to overlaying the data onto the GoPro footage from Barber. This was my fastest lap. Day 1 session 2. So I was still green and learning the track. My lines improved but my times didn’t. Finally discovered that I had a failing wheel bearing. I still had fun!! Which is the main thing.

Highly recommend the track. Very technical. Many blind corners/apexes. A couple places where the track will bite you. Awesome facilities. And I got to go to my first Buc Ees. 80-pump Gas Station and busy busy.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
. And I got to go to my first Buc Ees. 80-pump Gas Station and busy busy
Brisket sandwich and some beaver nuggets... lunch of champions

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Barber Motorsports Park
Finally got to overlaying the data onto the GoPro footage from Barber. This was my fastest lap. Day 1 session 2. So I was still green and learning the track. My lines improved but my times didn’t. Finally discovered that I had a failing wheel bearing. I still had fun!! Which is the main thing.

Highly recommend the track. Very technical. Many blind corners/apexes. A couple places where the track will bite you. Awesome facilities. And I got to go to my first Buc Ees. 80-pump Gas Station and busy busy.

I was about to ask what that thrumming noise was, but then went back and read the thread. That sucks.

Funny thing is, mine is in the shop, not for a wheel bearing, just getting a new lsd as my old one is maybe going bad. Won't know till i get it back.

but the 2 Turo cars I've rented have had bad bearings. I want to tell them but i don't want them to think i messed it up.

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
I was about to ask what that thrumming noise was, but then went back and read the thread. That sucks.

Funny thing is, mine is in the shop, not for a wheel bearing, just getting a new lsd as my old one is maybe going bad. Won't know till i get it back.

but the 2 Turo cars I've rented have had bad bearings. I want to tell them but i don't want them to think i messed it up.
Pretty sure the wheel bearings in my wagon are starting to go as well, I get something similar when on track after a few hot laps.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP

VAQ or Wavetrac?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
VAQ or Wavetrac?
Wavetrac. Has a lifetime warranty so sending it in. Was going to put in a Quaife to reduce downtime, but shop ordered the wrong one, so now it's a race to see if the repaired Wavetrac comes in before the Quaife (which is only in stock in the UK)