GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I'm just using stock LCAs with solid rubber bushings and that added a surprising amount of road feedback. Camber plates are just about the only heim joint that would be worth it to me, if I'm ditching the stock mounts I'd at least want to get adjustability out of it.
Did the Vorshlag plates eat up any strut travel that you noticed?
I measured my stock struts and measured my Ohlins with Vorshlag. Top of the mount to the spring seat and the Vorshlag was shorter. I don’t recall the difference. Ground Control has less stack height than Vorshlag. But I like the Caster Adjustment on the Vorshlag plates.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
HOLY STIFF SHOCK SETTINGS!

For real though, I run probably 15-20 clicks off from full stiff on my ohlins. I don't remember if you have a re-valve, so maybe it's different for you, but for me, those shock settings would rattle my teeth on the midwest crap roads.
Lil bit. Lol

3DM Motorsports revalved my Ohlins. I did not like the ride on full soft. I preferred to add some dampening. Once set for the track, I do not soften it for the street.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Right rear fuel filler pipe will come into play with a 265. What tire are you thinking of running?

I need to find a good HPDE tire that can handle a 25-30min session once I have used up my R888R’s. I really don’t like them. Still prefer NT01’s but they do not make a 255 in 18”. There are faster tires out there over a couple laps. NT01’s are super consistent and can hang in for a full session and don’t heat cycle out.

The RT660’s run wider than most other tires. Is that correct?

I'm really liking the V730. Supposed to last longer than 660 and car was 2nd pax out of 85 cars last event, 3rd raw.

But yes, 660's are stupid wide.

My old RE71R's were square in 255 on 8.5. My V730's are slightly pinched 255 on 8.5. RT660 are really pinched 255 on 9". It's crazy how wide they are.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Quick update.

Got my SuperPro LCA’s out. They have held up really well. Polly bushes are all intact. Rear trailing arms are out too.
So the Verkline goodies will be going in tomorrow morning. Then I have to corner balance.

75B16BC9-F316-49C9-B386-2FDA99E062B7.jpeg

C65B14FA-8A9A-4CE1-A5BD-3418162B598E.jpeg

Spent some time setting up the scale pads to get everything level. Marked all the feet on the floor so I can get repeatable results going forward.

613FA1AB-08E0-4AB0-8B86-1F87ED472A9E.jpeg

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I'm really liking the V730. Supposed to last longer than 660 and car was 2nd pax out of 85 cars last event, 3rd raw.

But yes, 660's are stupid wide.

My old RE71R's were square in 255 on 8.5. My V730's are slightly pinched 255 on 8.5. RT660 are really pinched 255 on 9". It's crazy how wide they are.
So the V730’s are little wider than the RE71’s? Which was a generously sized tire Itself.
A 255 V730 should sit square on my 18x9’s then. The V730’s are good value. Have you run them in HPDE yet?

Wondering when the new Conti/Hoosiers will make a 255-35-18?

The Goodyear 3Rs is getting into Hoosier price territory. Depending on life they may still be an option.
265 square would be badass on a GTi. Wondering if my increase in rear track will be enough to squeeze those gum balls in the rear.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
So the V730’s are little wider than the RE71’s? Which was a generously sized tire Itself.
A 255 V730 should sit square on my 18x9’s then. The V730’s are good value. Have you run them in HPDE yet?

Wondering when the new Conti/Hoosiers will make a 255-35-18?

The Goodyear 3Rs is getting into Hoosier price territory. Depending on life they may still be an option.
265 square would be badass on a GTi. Wondering if my increase in rear track will be enough to squeeze those gum balls in tadoptions?
I have 3 autocross events with 2 drivers, 6 runs each per event. Showing very little wear and just getting really grippy.

I have a track day at Daytona in May.

I'm trying to decide on what pads to use. I'm not liking the Powerstop track day pads.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I have 3 autocross events with 2 drivers, 6 runs each per event. Showing very little wear and just getting really grippy.

I have a track day at Daytona in May.

I'm trying to decide on what pads to use. I'm not liking the Powerstop track day pads.
Just ordered a set of v730, they look really promising. Too bad the 255s are so backordered.

Have you tried DS2500? FCP carries them in the 4-pot brembo shape. Pricey but lifetime replacement.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Got the front LCA’s and rear trailing arms in. My car fought me today. Trying to get the bolts lined up to get the trailing arm bolted to the rear upright was a pain.

So I realized that my rear toe links were binding quite a bit. Going with spherical here is the way to go. The joint can now articulate through the full range of motion.

So I have a question for you folks. When installing the front LCA, i discovered the rear vertical bolt hole is slotted. What the frack???
Is this correct from the factory or has this just wallowed out in my case?
Its on both sides and the same on the upper and lower hole. Which makes me think it’s factory. Plus I have not had any clunks or erratic handling.

8A917BEB-DA2C-4F16-BFC8-F85D3150359D.jpeg
D1C30A57-72BB-40C8-BA0A-E4B86BE4BB41.jpeg
AB1207D0-4E56-4B2C-B85E-5B3F5FD8288B.jpeg

Reactions: q74

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
I can’t comment on the slotted bolt, but I am very interested to hear how well those Verkline bits work for you, and their longevity.

q74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
R
So I have a question for you folks. When installing the front LCA, i discovered the rear vertical bolt hole is slotted. What the frack???
Is this correct from the factory or has this just wallowed out in my case?
Its on both sides and the same on the upper and lower hole. Which makes me think it’s factory. Plus I have not had any clunks or erratic handling.
Like the (rear) LCA hole in the (front) subframe you mean?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Like the (rear) LCA hole in the (front) subframe you mean?
Yes front subframe. The vertical bolt for the front LCA. The rear position by the firewall.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Thank you for that info. It was bugging me.

I’m guessing it’s about .5 degree of adjustment in the steel subframe.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Just ordered a set of v730, they look really promising. Too bad the 255s are so backordered.

Have you tried DS2500? FCP carries them in the 4-pot brembo shape. Pricey but lifetime replacement.
Some experienced drivers have found the DS2500 wanting on track and bumped up to the DS 1.11. I’m sure that the price starts jumping for track specific pads. Do pagid make RSL29’s for the Macan caliper?

You can daily these pads and they stand up well on track. RSL 29’s are also kind to rotors.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Some experienced drivers have found the DS2500 wanting on track and bumped up to the DS 1.11. I’m sure that the price starts jumping for track specific pads. Do pagid make RSL29’s for the Macan caliper?

You can daily these pads and they stand up well on track. RSL 29’s are also kind to rotors.
Yep: https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=44_749_750_5215_5218&sort=3a&filter_id=33

And yeah, DS2500 aren't race pads, if you're on something stickier than street tires DS1.11/3.12 would be a good choice. From experience, Cup2s are about the limit of DS2500 for a couple of the smaller Michigan tracks. But for a daily-able track pad, the Ferodo wins just for the FCP replacements for me.