GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
These are better than the original PP calipers. Pads look about the same size.

Still heavy and won't shed heat very well. The rotors have me intrigued though.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
A buddy just got a new '22 R - the brakes are the sliding caliper 2-pots. Rotors are huge and look like the CS ones. These are the same calipers that are on my Atlas and but that has 335 rotors - they will bolt up to any MQB. If I had a new R, I'd just keep the stock brakes as they are probably v. good with upgraded pads but no way I'd drop money on these as an upgrade over an aftermarket BBK b/c they weigh a shitload. The Atlas brake upgrade looked to be a good budg-o setup but again, weighs a lot and the 335 rotors aren't common.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
So the R rotors are 357mm. The 6 pot Macans use a 360mm.

The 4 pot Macan upgrade works with either the 340mm or 345mm, so I'm not thinking that 3mm will matter, or so my wife tells me.

So are the Macan 6 pots going to be an upgrade path for the mk8 R?

I'm so trying to not buy a new car. I REALLY like my GTI and I'm so close to getting it exactly where I wanted it, i.e. kind of my own version of a CS, but the mk8 R is making it hard.

I think the only thing stopping me is the silly dealer markups. I've been buying my own cars for 35 years and NEVER paid over MSRP for a car. I won't start now. I can only think of a couple times I paid MSRP.

It's going to be a mess for people once the market levels out. In 3 years, people are going to feel really stupud after paying 20k over msrp for a Bronco and people are walking into a dealer and paying 2k under msrp.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
So the R rotors are 357mm. The 6 pot Macans use a 360mm.

The 4 pot Macan upgrade works with either the 340mm or 345mm, so I'm not thinking that 3mm will matter, or so my wife tells me.

So are the Macan 6 pots going to be an upgrade path for the mk8 R?

I'm so trying to not buy a new car. I REALLY like my GTI and I'm so close to getting it exactly where I wanted it, i.e. kind of my own version of a CS, but the mk8 R is making it hard.

I think the only thing stopping me is the silly dealer markups. I've been buying my own cars for 35 years and NEVER paid over MSRP for a car. I won't start now. I can only think of a couple times I paid MSRP.

It's going to be a mess for people once the market levels out. In 3 years, people are going to feel really stupud after paying 20k over msrp for a Bronco and people are walking into a dealer and paying 2k under msrp.
My buddy just paid MSRP for one of the first R's in VA. No reason to have to pay more for savvy shoppers.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
My buddy just paid MSRP for one of the first R's in VA. No reason to have to pay more for savvy shoppers.

Stop using logic, I'm trying to talk myself out of buying a new R.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Stop using logic, I'm trying to talk myself out of buying a new R.
It will be my next car at some point....it's really nice and I dig the look.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The mishimoto IC is in my office, the radiator is in the mail.

Mini, any advice for doing both at the same time?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
When’s your first event this season?
4/2-3 Barber Motorsports Park with Alabama PCA
4/29-5/1 VIR with FSR PCA
May Road Atlanta with Chin (Maybe)

I need to replace my water pump/thermostat. Do my first carbon cleaning. So may or may not do the May event Chin. Researching whether I do a custom EQT tune over the Summer in preparation for my fall season. Need to figure out whether I do any supporting fuel mods. I don’t want more power, just better delivery not to overwhelm grip. Reliability is key.

Then I will be back to VIR mid Oct with FSR PCA back to back with Chin for a 4-day weekend.
11/18-20 VIR with Carolinas PCA

We need to try and connect up at VIR. There are a couple other GTi/R drivers that want to do the same.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
The mishimoto IC is in my office, the radiator is in the mail.

Mini, any advice for doing both at the same time?
Definitely do both at the same time. Look at my Install pdf and come back to me with any questions. The stack up width will make things tight. I re-routed the main engine harness under the plastic turbo outlet tube. I used a shorter m6 bolt on the radiator support below the hood latch.
All done with the front clip in “service mode”. You may not have to trim the plastic fan shroud. I did when I tried with the IE IC. Not sure whether the AMS IC needed it.

Post in thread '2017 GTi PP at VIR'
https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/2017-gti-pp-at-vir.351754/post-7444979

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Verkline Lockout Washers
I have had a few people ask me about Verkline offset lockout washers. I’ve been working on an install document which has been a work in progress. I have used these to create some additional wiggle room for the right rear fuel filler hose. I added +5 to the Rear LCA inner pivot and +5 to the upper camber arm. You will need adjustable toe links and adjustable camber arms.

800A9E19-D8AA-4B08-BD7C-9C7728F5717D.jpeg
86F27B03-318E-4EF8-A241-3D061FFE8FF6.jpeg
4D5B9284-EA63-4CE2-A0B6-0F6874BE054E.jpeg
EC96780D-42AC-4475-9BF7-E2297CEEF606.jpeg
E494ECEB-0DE7-435C-8BB1-A306B46F9277.jpeg

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Howdy, I joined this forum specifically for this post/sub-forum. (I'm also on a VW Racers group on Facebook, but I miss old forums where information stays and is relatively easy to search, not lost and hard to find based on whatever the current algorithm is).

I have a 2019 GTI Rabbit Edition (DSG) that I took to VIR last weekend with the Tidewater Sports Car Club. This was my 2nd day on track at VIR, and first time out with the VW. I previously tracked a 2011 Mazda2 that had way too much money sunk into it over the ~8 years I drove it. It met a wall last summer at Mid-Ohio during Sundae Cup TT with Gridlife and the GTI is the replacement. For reference, the 97whp Mazda2 with highly developed suspension ran a 2.38.1 at VIR Full last February with TSCC. I had a friend (who has a few TT5 class wins with NASA) run a 2.35.4 in the 2, mostly carrying more speed through South Bend and Hog Pen same day. The Sunday last year was snowed out so only got a single day on track at VIR.

For reference it was my first time back on track since the Mid-Ohio accident where I hit the inside tire wall at 55mph sideways per the data, stock belts and seats... no HANS/Hybrid-S at the time... ended up with a concussion that lasted over a week. Poor balance, blacked out once, etc. Definitely could have been far worse. There is video floating around from the view of the car behind me somewhere. In a nutshell guy ahead of me dipped two off and made a huge dust cloud. This just happened to be on my first attempted "flyer" lap and was full tilt at 90mph at the apex, can't really lift at that point, I had no visual reference for track limits (my first weekend there, early on the second day), dipped two off myself not knowing it, hooked and spun to the inside.

Details on the 2 if you care are all documented here: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/f...t-2011-mazda2-for-track-dayhpde/177202/page1/

I bought a Hybrid-S before going back on track. One of the primary reasons for buying the GTI is it's a MUCH safer crash structure than most other vehicles in it's class. While my Mazda2 didn't have a front impact, the chances of a wheel crushing the pedal box and mangling your feet is very real in that thing. I did not want something that would NEED a full cage, etc because then I've got something I can't enjoy on the street. I wanted something that needed minimal screwing with to not be painfully slow. GTI capable of low 2:20s - high 2:10s when driven properly first that bill. Also it's just a nice car to drive in general on the street. I love this thing.

Onto last weekend:

I worked my speed up throughout the day on Saturday. Ultimately did several 2:28s over a few sessions, with my single best lap being a 2:26.05. Weather was about 65F-70F on Saturday when I ran quickest.

Car info:
Bone stock 2019 GTI Rabbit Edition aside from fresh DS2500 pads and Zimmerman rotors from FCP (this is part of my strategy to keep consumable costs down... hah), Motul 600 fluid, on 225/40R18 Michelin PS A/S 3+ on stock wheels, with the following VCDS adaptations done:

Code:
APPLIED ADAPTATIONS:

03 Brakes

- Brake booster - 25004 (stock 5, set to 2)

- Expanded differential lock (XDS)- 20103 (stock standard, set to weak)

- Straight ahead brake stabilization - 25757 (stock activated, set to not activated)

- Hydralic Brake Assistant - 11966 (stock normal, set to not activated)

---------------------------------------------------------------

32 Differential locks

- Acoustic measure: wiring logic (stock standard, set to increased traction)

A9 Structure borne sound

- Volume of structure borne noise actuator (stock 100, set to 0)

I also have the ABS module coded to allow TCS/VSC full off, but I actually just ran the car in ASR Sport mode the entire weekend. Had no problems and it didn't intervene to the point of being noticeable, etc.

Video of my quickest lap:

Definitely have another 3 sec in it just as it sits. Mostly through turns 2-3, the esses, exiting Oak Tree, and through Hog Pen. A lot of the corner exit issues were form me leaving the DSG in "S" mode and not manually downshifting it. I was primarily trying to focus on the driving line on Saturday. Unfortunately on Sunday I only got one session in (but pulled off a 2:26.97) in 45F conditions... with an umbrella on track between T13/14 that I'm guessing flew out of someone's car :rolleyes: ... I was tired as hell and didn't want to push myself while losing focus. Weather was getting crappier as the day went on as well so got a head start on the 3.5hr drive home.

/ rambling post

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Welcome! The more GTi’s running VIR the better I say.

I share my experiences as do a couple others so that we can all get better and learn together. I don’t have FB on my phone so I miss a lot of posts on the various groups. I’m a visual learner so photos coupled with instructions are super helpful.

You have all the VCDS mods correct. As budget allows a set of track wheels and tires will be helpful. Focus on suspension/braking mods before adding HP

I run mainly with PCA and Audi at VIR. Going to to try a couple events with Chin. I hear good things about their events. Which means I will be missing my Audi track buddies this year.

From your video noticed that VIR has installed a long stretch of Armco in the brake zone of T13. Not sure I like that, as you lose visibility to what’s happening at T14 & T15. Anyone who messes up their brake point has lost an exit strategy. Any car over-shooting for whatever reason could potentially bounce back onto the track with the angle they installed the Armco at.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Welcome! The more GTi’s running VIR the better I say.

I share my experiences as do a couple others so that we can all get better and learn together. I don’t have FB on my phone so I miss a lot of posts on the various groups. I’m a visual learner so photos coupled with instructions are super helpful.

You have all the VCDS mods correct. As budget allows a set of track wheels and tires will be helpful. Focus on suspension/braking mods before adding HP

I run mainly with PCA and Audi at VIR. Going to to try a couple events with Chin. I hear good things about their events. Which means I will be missing my Audi track buddies this year.

From your video noticed that VIR has installed a long stretch of Armco in the brake zone of T13. Not sure I like that, as you lose visibility to what’s happening at T14 & T15. Anyone who messes up their brake point has lost an exit strategy. Any car over-shooting for whatever reason could potentially bounce back onto the track with the angle they installed the Armco at.

Thanks! There's also a ton of Armco between Hogpen and T1 now:
https://virnow.com/uncategorized/front-straight-guardrail-update/

Info on T14:
https://virnow.com/news/turn-14-update/

I have no plans for adding any power for track, just a DSG tune. Still under the "People's Warranty" for now :D

In the middle of moving right now, but I think the extent of mods I'll be doing will be some 17x9s and 245 RT660s, some Bilstein B6s with stock springs and Vorshlag camber plates, and maybe a rear bar. (And any cooling mods as necessary)

Possibly just go straight to MCS singles since I only really drive it on the weekends. I spent SO much time developing the suspension on the Mazda2(fabricated a set of coilovers using Koni RACE cartridges, several other sets of shocks/springs/coilovers) before Redshift Motorsports and I developed a track focused set for the Mazda2/Fiesta. I ran 10k/12k rates with no sway bars (0.97:1 MR both ft/rr), at a 2400lb race weight with driver and half tank of fuel. Despite running 3+hz ride frequencies, it was super comfortable due to the heavily digressive valving. No problems eating up all the curbs at VIR/Summit Shenandoah/Mid-O. Basically I learned if I'm going to go all out, go ALL OUT the first time.

I'll have to check the schedule, I was eyeing some PCA events there to add something this spring/summer. Would love to get some instruction from you!