GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Ronnie, have you played with pushing that back past the 1 (there used to be a star marker or something) into rollercoaster? It's been a loooong time but I remember making up some decent time there doing that.
I’ve heard a few people talk about this, and then using the uphill section of the track to do nearly all of their threshold braking. Not going to lie, it takes guts 😅

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
At 135mph I had to back up my brake point. I need to check my video. I’m lifting at #2 and rolling onto the brake at #1.5 (that’s my goal anyway)
Before the tune, I was in the 126-128mph range and was braking closer to the #1. You’re essentially braking as you are turning in for T-13 and my car is moving a lot under me on the brakes. I’m with Ronnie here. It takes a lot of commitment and you need to build up to it.

Margins of error here are so small. You have to be super focused on hitting your marks. 135mph is 198ft per sec.
A small lapse in concentration and you will run out of real estate to get stopped. Compress brake zones in half-car length increments. As speed increases the requirements to stop is an exponential equation.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Got all my hose rub points protected
Had to trim the horn mounting bracket to clear the Aux Radiator duct.
**Edit: I also mounted the horn upside down.
FFA3ED38-FF18-4A59-88FD-A7E6A13465B4.jpeg
758404D7-E28D-4891-BBF3-DB6E9925960F.jpeg
55E3D283-6E8E-4086-B477-571C2D7A4FBE.jpeg
CE98123E-1F38-4F25-B821-1392B7A334A2.jpeg
CF91DE6F-0428-4B35-A662-AF50E75D4F5D.jpeg
CF91DE6F-0428-4B35-A662-AF50E75D4F5D.jpeg

Finally got the rear camber arms out. PITA to say the least. Figuring out which wrench to get to the inner bolt was half the battle. Got the Verkline units matching the stock arms for length.

043536ED-BCE2-4CF9-9AD7-664EB8A903D5.jpeg
3BE4B116-E570-4B07-A9A2-BDCC642950BF.jpeg
49FC334D-D8E6-4491-A598-DE5CA93250F4.jpeg

Attachments

• R Aux Cooler.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Does anyone have any 65 mm ID, 6k springs that are 6 inches in height collecting dust? If so, let me know, I'll buy them from you.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Respray looking nice! I miss my white car 😭

Took delivery of a very clean 2016 2-door in midnight blue this afternoon via Carvana. Very positive experience in spite of the insane high prices in the twilight of Mk7. Forgot how soft the stock clutch be (n)
They did a decent job. The hood was full of stone chips and it looks much better now.

The used market is nuts right now but the Dealership lots are empty.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Rear Spring Lower Rubber Pad

Is there a skinnier pad available for the lower rear control arm?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Rear Spring Lower Rubber Pad

Is there a skinnier pad available for the lower rear control arm?

That would save me $380, if I can even find a set of springs. I just need it 1/8 to a 1/4 lower in the rear.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Respray looking nice! I miss my white car 😭

Took delivery of a very clean 2016 2-door in midnight blue this afternoon via Carvana. Very positive experience in spite of the insane high prices in the twilight of Mk7. Forgot how soft the stock clutch be (n)

Happy to hear you’re back in a GTI John. You gonna have this thing ready for VIR in November? 😉

Stinkycheezmonky

Car(s)
'19 Golf R
At 135mph I had to back up my brake point. I need to check my video. I’m lifting at #2 and rolling onto the brake at #1.5 (that’s my goal anyway)
Before the tune, I was in the 126-128mph range and was braking closer to the #1. You’re essentially braking as you are turning in for T-13 and my car is moving a lot under me on the brakes. I’m with Ronnie here. It takes a lot of commitment and you need to build up to it.

Margins of error here are so small. You have to be super focused on hitting your marks. 135mph is 198ft per sec.
A small lapse in concentration and you will run out of real estate to get stopped. Compress brake zones in half-car length increments. As speed increases the requirements to stop is an exponential equation.

Last time I was there was...2009-2010ish? It's been awhile, and that was in a very different car: 2200lb Honda Civic hitting ~132mph at the end of the straight. I was really on the hunt for time opportunities. The other one was in Hogpen, similar idea switching up to just one braking zone instead of the standard first braking zone up to the rumble strips and second zone before the right-hander turn-in. That was a bit iffier than at the end of the back straight but also made a big difference.

While that was in a different car it was actually based off the line from a TDI Cup driver (AJ Nealy) so it should work the same.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
2200 lbs is a huge difference to the porky 3086-3100lbs GTi. You are referring to the HPDE school line vs. the racers line through 16 & 17.
I generally make up time down through roller coaster vs other cars and open up a few car lengths. You got to scrub off just enough speed through 16-17 not to push and go to gas hard at the compression for a good exit onto the front straight. In the wet avoid the exit curb past Hogpen and hold the car a few ft in from the side of the track as water tends to pool at the exit curb.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I don't think that rate and length is very popular.

It's going to cost me $380 from swift for the pair. Any other spring manufacturers worth a look?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
FWIW- I’m partial to Swift Springs. In all the time I’ve swopped out Swift Springs they do not sag or change in length.