GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

bfury5

Autocross Champion
That's crazy. I'm not sure the exchange rate, but they seem less expensive here.

Do you guys get the Falken RT660? They have better feel, just as fast, better heat resistance, wear better, and $40 a tire cheaper. It's the go to tire in the US at this point.

View attachment 219547
Would strongly argue the A052 vs 660 on raw pace at least in the autox community

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
The GRM HPDE tire review rated the 660 highly. After the A052, RE71R and BFG Rival 1.5. I thought it was a predominantly auto-x tire and wouldn’t stand up to a 25-30 min session. So good bang for the buck.

My short list is still pretty much the Toyo RR and the GY 3R. Looking for much better steering response.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Turned the oil cooler upside down. Let’s see how this fits.
01AFCAA3-6561-4849-B527-51713326DA26.jpeg
63653D98-56C0-4048-AD85-262ECDE05129.jpeg

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Had to adjust the location of the cooler on the bracket.
BA4C07FB-55CB-4572-B66B-C50B959CE881.jpeg

This exposes most of the cooler.
592D791F-76A5-430B-9584-8AE4DE4C9D64.jpeg

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
That's crazy. I'm not sure the exchange rate, but they seem less expensive here.

Do you guys get the Falken RT660? They have better feel, just as fast, better heat resistance, wear better, and $40 a tire cheaper. It's the go to tire in the US at this point.

View attachment 219547
I'm actually not talking about the A052, but the A050, which is a motorsport tyre that comes in multiple compounds. It's what most time attack cars in Japan use. They don't have a TW rating but have E markings and can be street driven here in Australia. They are the fastest street legal tyre hands down over here.
img02.jpg

I don't think we get the RT660 which is a shame as I'd love to try them. The two dominant tyres here are the Yoko A050 and the Hankook 221. Both great tyres but its a blessing and a curse. Means other manufactures just don't bother bringing their offerings here as they rarely stack up to these. Only the A052 and RE71RS, both quote new, seem to be as quick over one lap as the Z221. Though you don't get the laps out of them. Even now Bridgestone don't seem to be stocking the RE712RS anymore and it only just came out last year. A052 is really popular though.

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
Similar tread pattern to the A048’s I ran on my Cooper S.

They are more expensive than Hoosiers here in the US. Great that they provide grip down to the cords unlike the Hoosiers which heat cycle out.
Yeah you can use them until they actually delaminate.

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
Anyone in here running Verkline subframe or LCAs? Finally committing to BBK and wider wheels :giggle: Apex 18x8.5 & 9

EDIT: considering the Verkline subframe for alleged lack of slop and Verkline LCAs for adjustability (in concert with the drop bushings, if i should choose to go that route). Naturally concerned about NVH, as i frequently do 8+ hour stints on the road. (y)
Thanks for any feedback!

Last edited:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
So based on the quality of my Verkline LCA and rear camber arm, I’d guess their subframe will be good. I will be installing my Verkline pieces in the next couple of weeks to get ready for my first DE of the year at the end of Aug.

Its hard to judge NVH without having installed the parts. My daily is very track oriented. Perfectly well mannered on smooth asphalt. No so much on broken asphalt anymore.

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks for the feedback, Mini7, always much appreciated. Who'd you get those Verkline parts through? I tried directly through the website but no dice, wondering if you went through Grizz and if so how it went. After much indecision i'm just going to try and go with the parts that offer the least slop and most adjustment on the bottom end, and progress (learn/spend) from there. Mass and moi increase from base to PP rotors was a huge hit to front end feel, plus the added mass of those iron calipers, so hoping the APR BBK (350x34 mm) with wider but lighter wheels and tires hung on lighter LCAs will bring some of the lively non-PP front end response back. 🏁

If anyone has anything to say about Verkline parts and/or how they got them, i'd love to hear about it, thanks!

If anyone knows of another manufacturer of fully adjustable LCAs for our platform, i'd love to hear about it, thanks!

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I purchased direct a year ago. There wasn’t anything local. There is no website for Grizz Motorsports.
Will post my install and let you know how they perform on track.

How do you like the BBK?

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks, i just got email from Verkline so with luck i can figure that situation out... going to do some more research before pulling the trigger. Looks like Apex are a couple months out so the BBK that isn't here yet will be ogled over :love:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I just got my Apex wheels. Which ones are you waiting on?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
There are more tire options in 17” at a better price point.

Same tire in 17” to 18”, don’t think there will much difference in lap time. They don’t have NT01’s in my size so it will be hard for me to make any comparison. Unless the difference in steering feel gives the driver more confidence to push harder.