GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
1.5 per side. To be honest I can’t remner if he said degrees or millimeters.

Drove on the track today with the new alignment. First time with the extra camber. Shaved a second off last years time on the same tyres so quite pleased. Plenty more in it too. Wasn’t faster than the FK8 though :(

Ahhh, okay! So 1.5mm per side is 1/16th toe out per side. It's just under 0.3 degree total toe.

Camber knocked off a good chunk of time for me as well. I still need more, though. Fwd, you always need more camber, lol ?.

Great job on reducing your times!

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
I didn’t realize how many electronic nannies are built into the MQB platform.

It’s going to be interesting going back to VIR to ascertain the changes and how they will affect lap times.
What's your opinion of the adjustments you made via OBD Eleven from back in January?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
On the street with my PP calipers it’s an improvement IMHO. More related to brake pedal feel. Hard to tell without stressing the brake system on track.

Unfortunately I opted to install the BBK instead of doing so later for the DE coming up at VIR this weekend. My PowerBrake BBK has given me a big performance boost and made me more confident in the cars ability to stop.

I will say this, setting the diff to increased traction and removing the torque limiter has improved the punch out of the slower corners. Is it a dramatic change? No it isn’t, but it is noticeable.

The other observation is that I pulled consistent .9g’s under braking. Peaking at 1-1.1g’s with my 300tw tires with the PowerBrake BBK. My PP brakes only managed .7 maybe .8gs on occasion. I would think that the PP brakes have sufficient power to overwhelm the grip of the tire. I’m pulling 1.1-1.2g peaks in the turns so the tire should be capable of that under braking. I’m thinking that the brake assist settings have something to do with this.

I’m very happy with current brake performance and feel.

About to install some Nitto NT01’s. It will be interesting to see the impact on laptimes with the additional grip.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
So I now have some dedicated track tires.

Can anyone give me some starting cold pressures front and rear for the NT01’s?

What is the target hot pressure?

Weather is going to be 50/50 rain. So still may run my PS4’s.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
What size Nitto are you running?

When I ran an r888 in a 245/35/18 on a different platform I ran 24/28 cold and aimed for 33/40 hot. That was on a wrx, and it needed tons of rear bar, spring, and pressure to not understeer.

Similar pressures would likely apply for the GTI, but depending on your rear setup and tire size, maybe a bit less pressure rear.

I haven't tried out my Yoko competition tires yet, but my Direzza Z3 I run 34/40 hot and usually in the morning on paddock that's a 28/30. I also adjust side to side depending on track/conditions, but that's highly personalized and doesn't help as much as a good front/rear balance.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I have 255-40-17 all round.

I normally run 1psi higher in the rear being FWD.

M3bs1

Go Kart Champion
So I now have some dedicated track tires.

Can anyone give me some starting cold pressures front and rear for the NT01’s?

What is the target hot pressure?

Weather is going to be 50/50 rain. So still may run my PS4’s.

I run 255/40-17 NT01 on my M3. I usually start cold at about 28, and look for 36-38 hot. They work well in cold temps once you get some heat in them. Wet? Not so much....

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I have 255-40-17 all round.

I normally run 1psi higher in the rear being FWD.

Your 034 bar is probably stiffer than my ST rear bar, so yeah probably a closer pressure between F:R for you.

What rim are you running? Curious how it fits, since I'd like to go to a 255/40/17 next as well, for the front.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
17x8.5 et 45

See attached photos. It’s tight but I believe there is wiggle room for a 9” wide rim. I wanted to err on the side of caution. I also did the screw mod. On the road I had no rubbing. I will reserve judgement once I run a lap at VIR. I generally use the curbs on many corners so that will be the true test. Hopefully I will not need to roll the fenders.

I still have my 034 RSB on the softer setting. I will likely go to the stiffer setting.
51E58F43-999B-4C53-90F9-F708F71710FB.jpeg
ADCB9A0C-1F98-4556-8B3C-DF395BDAB38B.jpeg
08CDA5EA-370F-48A4-B551-A7A1630B87A2.jpeg
CAB727D0-7122-45AF-A077-903260D77BA2.jpeg

Last edited:

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
PowerBrake BBK Install

Here are the photos from my PowerBrake install.

Everything comes well packaged in a left hand and right hand box. Detailed instructions. All the aluminum is Mil-spec hard anodized. Calipers have temp strips and the rotors come standard with temp paint. Key tools to check brake system health and to dial in pad compounds. I’ve been looking at upgrading brakes for a year. A good friend with an E46 M3 installed the AP BBK from EssexParts. Hands down a quality kit and they are 30-mins from me. I’ve purchased Speigler brakes lines from them for my CooperS and my Golf. They are in the process of making up rear lines for me after I dropped off a new OEM line as a sample. PowerBrake’s US headquarter is 10-mins from my house. Getting the opportunity to see the brakes was really helpful as I was able to see the quality and the attention to detail. These guys know brakes. Long story short, PowerBrake punches well above its weight. You are getting Motorsport spec brakes at a much better price point.

I also did some reading on Vorshlag’s site - http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8478

If you have been reading my posts, I shaved 2-seconds off my time at VIR using these brakes with 300tw tires under the car. No more fade halfway through a session. I’m super happy in my brake choice and highly recommend PowerBrake.
4A944F5D-5F4F-4B8A-87DE-6263DC669FBE.jpeg
AF816836-0683-4F4B-8A9A-041ED162AA7D.jpeg
20941B28-B0E9-4DF6-9969-1F23BDD1A085.jpeg
D98F861A-4E65-42AF-8BA7-1751DBABEE70.jpeg
1711C100-B0B1-480D-B8AE-0EDCE52F9322.jpeg
1711C100-B0B1-480D-B8AE-0EDCE52F9322.jpeg
1849862F-510A-4901-BC52-B890E4A4E893.jpeg
E5523EB6-BA3D-4316-9359-A112D1909F4A.jpeg
7EB188B8-CC57-4EC8-ADC3-17A3FC1473C4.jpeg
E2768E95-7DA9-441A-B53E-C705D7CC4B03.jpeg

Last edited:

Swoope

Ready to race!
funny this thread!

well the concept has been in my head for a few years. combined with a friend with web skills. this is what you get.

i got tired of searching for tire info across all car forums.

trying to bring the info to one place.

tires4track.com

check it out, share with other forums you are on. and please if you can contribute.

we are not selling anything, just trying to make things simple.

on a side note for those who have been here for a while. i am a mod and admin on this site. how funny is that? lol

this is subtle post, please share.

beers

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Hah! I was wondering where you disappeared too. Lol

Hey this thread has just been my experience at VIR and to encourage anyone to get out on track.

I’m all for collaboration and good information sharing so folks can make informed decisions. Whether it be mods, tire choice or tire figment. I’ve tried to keep this one more track oriented.

Good luck with the track tire forum. I’ll definitely keep an eye on it.

Something to think about sharing tire info across multiple car platforms will be target hot pressures/temps for each tire.

TXBDan1

Passed Driver's Ed
I run NT01s as practice tires on my E36. I find they like to be around 36psi hot coming straight off the track. I'd shoot for that first and only bias the rears higher if you find the RSB isn't helping you enough with rotation/balance. They're excellent practice/HPDE tires, very durable and very forgiving of temp and air pressures.

What track pads were you running before the BBK? It's pretty hard to overheat proper track pads even with stock brakes. If that's happening, XDL and torque vectoring which use the brakes are usually the culprit.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
NT01 Tire Pressures

I run NT01s as practice tires on my E36. I find they like to be around 36psi hot coming straight off the track. I'd shoot for that first and only bias the rears higher if you find the RSB isn't helping you enough with rotation/balance. They're excellent practice/HPDE tires, very durable and very forgiving of temp and air pressures.

What track pads were you running before the BBK? It's pretty hard to overheat proper track pads even with stock brakes. If that's happening, XDL and torque vectoring which use the brakes are usually the culprit.

Thank you for the input!

Based on research and your advice, I will target 34-36psi hot and adjust from there. I just need to figure out my pressure gain and adjust starting cold pressures. I normally pick up 6-7psi when I have my starting pressures in the sweet spot. To low and the pressure gain is in the 4-psi range. To high and it’s in the 8-10psi range.

I agree with you NT01’s are a great all-round DE tire. They might not have the ultimate pace of some other track oriented tires but they talk at the limit and break away progressively. I’m expected a sketchy first session as I scrub them in. They should improve session after session.

Before the BBK I ran Pagid RS29’s. I’m sure XDL is/was interfering. I also coded my TC button to switch traction control off with the long hold. My caliper temp strips on the PP brakes showed that the brake system was getting hot and comprising the fluid.

Last edited:

M3bs1

Go Kart Champion
It’s too bad PFC won’t make pads for our cars. I tried G-Loc R12, and boiled my fluid in the R, which I was sort of expecting. Then I ran them in my M3, and boiled the fluid in it. Never happened before, and I’ve been tracking that car for 20 years. Back to PFC08 for me.