GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. K

Mk 7 golf won’t turn off unless I take key out

OBD11 is the standard one that a lot of users have. There is an app and you can scan your car for free with the tool. If you need to make coding changes, you will have to purchase a license. It's well worth it especialliy if you have 3 VWs It's either that or VCDS, but VCDS is a lot more...
  2. K

Roof rack marks - How boned am I?

I would also appreciate a template if anyone has it.
  3. K

Torn Rear Caliper Dust Seal

Finally got around to check out the dust seal, and it is sitting correctly. Any reason as to why the wear would be different on the driver side vs the passenger side? The coating isn't wearing off to the same extent as the passenger side.
  4. K

What’s in your trunk?

I have a tire inflator, portable jump pack, and a snow brush
  5. K

Rear brake change

I bought a set of Pagid/Hella pads and rotors. They are OEM and were a direct replacment. The pads came with the bolts for the caliper brackets and the rotors came with the set screw. This was perfect as those need to be replaced as per VW recommendation
  6. K

Id this screw please

I had to drill them out on my MK5 when doing the brakes since it was rusted so bad. The only major pain is getting the wheels back on the car when doing the winter/summer change over. Without the screw, the rotor moves around and makes it difficult to line up the wheel + rotor with the hub. I...
  7. K

Thanks, yes it is the dust seal. That was my exact plan, going to give it a try this evening.
  8. K

I was doing my rear brakes over the weekend and the boot was twisting with the caliper when I was compressing it. I used the proper tool (this one here), but it was also my first time doing rear brakes. The seal ended up twisting and tore as the caliper was compressing. I used some WD40 and...
  9. K

Mk8 GTI to be revealed in March

That's crazy. Hate when manufacturers put in pointless barriers preventing DIY work. Another reason to stick with the MK7/7.5
  10. K

Should I oil change at dealership or third party shop?

I do my own oil changes and it can definitely save you money. The filters you can get off of Rockauto and they are ~$13 for VW OEM filters (same ones from dealer). I order a 3-4 at a time to save on shipping. The oil I pick up from Canadian tire. You can usually find Penzoil Euro Synthetic...
  11. K

Ultimate Strut Mount Thread

I'm looking to get my DG springs installed. Based on the research I've done, it looks like I also have to replace my strut mounts as these are a weak point. I found a set of Lemforder on FCPeuro and they are listed at $10.66 Has anyone used these before? Any reason why they are 1/3 of the...
  12. K

When do you typically change spark plugs?

If you do end up ordering from Rock Auto, make sure you use the 5% off coupon. Also order anything else you might need like wipers or filters since you are paying for shipping. This one expires on Nov 15th: 120638971109717100 You have to enter in the where did you hear about us box.
  13. K

Possible Bad Turbo or Waste Gate Actuator

Finally got my car repaired. It ended up being a bad waste gate which required a turbo replacement from VW. VW offered a goodwill credit so I went ahead with the turbo replacement. If they did not, I would be looking at options for replacing the waste gate.
  14. K

When do you typically change spark plugs?

I changed mine out based on the factory interval. you can pickup a set of OEM plugs off of rockauto for around $45 CAD so it's a pretty cheap maintenance item. It's a straightforward DIY if you want to tackle it yourself.
  15. K

Multiple errors (ACC, ESC, TPMS, etc.)

I would replace the rear wheel bearing on the side it was hit (if it hasn't already). For the MK5 It also contains the wheel speed sensor which is required for traction control etc. The TMPS is based on wheel speed which is why you are likely getting those errors. I'm guessing the MK7 likely...
  16. K

MK7.5 OEM LED Tails

It means that they put the kit together themselves by bundling each individual light/part number. The other kit is the official retrofit kit from VW and only has 1 part number.
  17. K

Auto lock feature activation

I used to have this feature on my mazdaspeed 6. The car would wait till the key is out of range before auto locking. Not sure why the VW implementation is based on the driver's door closing. That would drive me nuts and I would turn it off instantly.