GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. O

BEC Headlights

I don't see why not - I think the largest issue people worry about with LED headlight bulbs is heat, so as long as that gets addressed it should work. The best way to change the bulbs is to come in behind the headlight through the fender wheel liner. Just a bunch of torx screws and a few turns...
  2. O

BEC Headlights

I have his MK7 Golf R reps and the HIDs were an optional add-on; I didn't buy the HID kit and I run bright white H7 halogen bulbs in the projector housing. Edit: Isn't the LED portion of these headlights in fact just the turn signal?
  3. O

I misaligned my bumper and headlight

I replaced my OEM grill with a lighting package grill with the chrome stripe, so I have taken the grill off a few times. Ideally it will sit flush in the slots at the base. The OEM one would then press down so that the two outer holes would align for some torx, and the whole thing would kind...
  4. O

Helix subwoofer/DSP and Focal IS VW 155 - do not recommend

I lied about those tracking numbers of course. I totally had them. I installed an AudioControl 1.300 yesterday, driving a Kicker CompRT 10" with a passive radiator. I also got the ACR-1 remote knob. Install was mostly easy; I found a really good video from Provo Beast or something that...
  5. O

Overmonk's GTI

One thing I have noticed in the past few weeks is just how eager I am to do anything to avoid sitting around and having time to think about stuff. So what have I done? Well first things first: the Focals are starting to get broken in, and there's no bottom end with them to speak of. I'm...
  6. O

I'm looking at the ACM-1.300 to drive a low-profile Kicker sub/box while I figure out an underfloor solution. I say that like I don't have tracking numbers for everything. heh.
  7. O

The 'Focal Inside' setup grows on me more every day, but I'm already planning the subwoofer addition. I de-taped the Helix harness today to harvest the twisted pairs for purple and green. I'm going to use t-taps on the rear channel inputs somewhere in the Focal extension, and run power and the...
  8. O

Quick post for future me from down the rabbit hole: Woofer specs: 2 ohm Tweeter specs: 4 ohm This kind of aligns. I know the tweeter pulled out of my A pillar was 4 ohms and everything I read prior to this process said the "speakers" were 2ohm. It never occurred to me it could be a mix. I...
  9. O

Well. OK. This weekend I pulled out the Helix harness, and installed a Focal breakout harness, a Focal harness extension (that includes power/ground/15amp fuse, and the Impulse 4:320 amplifier. Anyone who's been behind the MIB brain knows there's not that much room to work with. The...
  10. O

Overmonk's GTI

I loved that dog as hard as I could, and it was the best thing I've ever done. Dogs live in the moment; I'm trying to follow her example and keep my eyes peeled for her future brothers and sisters. I'm telling my wife forty dogs.
  11. O

The amp came in today, and I have a new problem. It's a small class D amp, but the smallest power wire I could find locally is 8ga. The harness looks like it's maybe 12. I'm really happy to say the 'used' amp looks like it was at most unboxed; it has a new unused harness. I sat in the hatch...
  12. O

Overmonk's GTI

So I didn't do any of that. I've upgraded the MIB2 screen from the stock 6.5" to the 8" non-glossy; it looks stock af and I love it. Got a decent deal on it right here I think - just timing. I've recently had the Focal IS VW 155 set installed, after the weather seals on the factory woofers...
  13. O

I guess it depends on what arrives with my amplifier. I always see the errors of my impatience, but here it is again, poking me to just make it work as soon as possible. In reality, Bruce (my car) has plenty of 'character' in his paint and body and anyone who buys him will be getting an as-is...
  14. O

I have a long history of taking random half measures and then overspending to correct them; this will be no different I'm sure. I'm already two steps down this road. I ordered a Focal 4.320 used and it'll be here Wednesday. I'll install that on the underside of the cargo cover (lots of room...
  15. O

I need to remind myself for about a month that new speakers have to break in and loosen up. I took a three hour drive yesterday and this morning all I can do is read about amps and subs.
  16. O

The TL;DR for this thread is that the DSP is calibrated for the stock speakers, and the upgrades sound like garbage. Project origin: I had been noticing water on my rear floorboards for a while at the car wash, finally looking into it and finding failed weather seals on three of four woofers...
  17. O

Cold inflation pressure for different tire size

They were both XL. I was happy with the Perelli P Zero All seasons I had on the stocks so I got them again in the new size. Both XL rated.
  18. O

Cold inflation pressure for different tire size

I switched wheels a few months ago, from the stock MK7 225/40 R18 to some neuspeed RS with 235/45 R17. Stock pressure is 37psi. My math says new pressure should be 31psi. I'd appreciate a gut check.
  19. O

MK7 Confessions

Yeah, DCC retrofit is a totally silly idea financially; I still considered it. I didn't know about the different knuckles until your post sent me to google. I appreciate the info, but also rats. I have a GTI heart and a Buick back.