GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. drshark

Who's R has traveled furthest (not highest mileage)?

The current thread about highest mileage R got me thinking about a different question. Rather than the most mileage, how about R's that have been driven to distant destinations. (Putting the car on a truck, train, boat, or a plane doesn't count.) That is, who's R has driven to the farthest...
  2. drshark

tell us your partner-approved mods

Here's a new take on the old "what have you done today" or "what are the best mods" thread. It occurred to me after my wife waxed lyrical about the last two things I've done. So, Tell us about how your spouse/partner/significant other enthusiastically supported mods or upgrades To start...
  3. drshark

TTRS clutch installed

Backstory: Unitronic Stage 1+ installed last month and instantly burned the OEM clutch, as expected. So, after research, I decided to go with the Audi TTRS stock clutch, rated about for about 30% more torque. Here’s first day observations... Torque holding: several near 10/10 pulls without...
  4. drshark

time for a new clutch

Day 3 of Unitronic Stage 1+ tune; a last gen M3 roars up behind me. First light: he takes off and I follow hard to the next light, now beside him. Second light: first real pull with the new tune. Rats, I don't shift soon enough and hit hard off the limiter. It's so much faster through 1st...
  5. drshark

Stage 1 tunes: drop-in clutch disk?

Has anyone with a Stage 1 tune tried a drop-in high friction clutch disk (e.g., South Bend’s)? My clutch guy suggests this should be plenty more torque capacity to handle a Stage 1 tune. This would be a lot cheaper and remain rather OEM-feel. P.S.: played stop light racing with a last-gen...
  6. drshark

estimate of %R's with ECU tune?

Now that I've put the Unitronic Stage 1+ on my R, I started wondering: has anyone put together a reasoned estimate of the percentage of R's that get a tune? And maybe a prediction of the final fraction (maybe, MK 6 numbers)? Just wondering... Shawn
  7. drshark

Love my Unitronic Stage 1+!

Just installed the Unitronic Stage 1+ tune yesterday. Here's several quick observations: 1) Power linearity Once past the initial spooling up RPM, the car pulls and pulls with steadily increasing urgency. With the (near) elimination of turbo rush I am SO reminded of the I-6 in my old BMW...
  8. drshark

"Inspection Now!" ???

The R is telling me to get an inspection. But it's 20 months old (i.e., between one and two years) and has 18,000 miles (i.e., between 10,000 and 20,000 miles). So, it shouldn't be simple counting leading to the maintenance demand. Is there some "soft" idiot light action going on here? Is...
  9. drshark

No infotainment screen (doesn't light up)

Ok, turned on the car to come home and no screen. The touchscreen works if you blindly push on the right spots. Merely turning the car on and off doesn't bring it back. Is there some other way to reset? Other than the obvious disconnect the battery... Thanks. Shawn
  10. drshark

Ideas: wife wants "bad girl" car

The other day, we're sitting at a stoplight and a Jeep Wrangler pulls up next to us. She says, "that's kind of what I want--either a 'bad girl' car or I'll settle for a grandmother car like everyone else". I'm 56; we were classmates in college. You do the math for her age... So, what...
  11. drshark

Advanti Svelto+245 PS4 pictures

Ok, finally got around to cropping and re-sizing pics. So, here you go... Advanti Svelto: 19x8.5 45mm, 21 lbs (-3.5 lbs vs. OEM) 245 35 19 Michelin Pilot Sport 4s 8mm spacers on rear wheels (none on front) Absolutely no rubbing with the top screws removed on the front wheel well liners. That...
  12. drshark

5000 mile road trip: best R appreciation moments

Five weeks and 5000+ miles from Niagara Falls to Cloudcroft, NM and back. Here's the best comments... 1) From valet at swanky Dallas, TX restaurant (Javier's) As I hand the keys to the 20-something valet, standing next to the McClaren and the Ferrari, he says "awesome ride, dude". Other...
  13. drshark

Advanti Svelto 1, OEM tire 0

So, we're driving back home to Niagara Falls (to NM and back; daughter married in Dallas), and upon entering Indiana... Crash/bang! A giant pothole swallowed the front passenger wheel/tire at about 75-80 mph. I didn't feel any vibrations or untoward activity from the front end. Then, the...
  14. drshark

hood vents really work!

Good morning all, A lingering question in my mind has been whether the hood vents really work. My initial observation has been that at rest, the engine compartment cools quite quickly, just minutes. But that's so incredibly subjective. Yet, there remained a lingering suspicion altered air...
  15. drshark

New wheels: Advanti Svelto

Good morning all, Below are two pics with the new Advanti Svelto (19x8.5 +45mm) wheels with 8mm spacers on the rear. The body shop is putting the R on their website. So, do you like the color match? It runs right down to the NY license plates and the font on the building... So, the tires...
  16. drshark

Need to reset tire pressure warning?

Good morning all, I just switched out the OEM wheels with the next Advanti Svelto's (pics and story later on that). But now I have a tire pressure warning that won't go away. I made sure the tires all have the same pressure. But the warning still comes up when I turn on the car. Ideas...
  17. drshark

ok, I have a spare OEM hood: now what?

Good morning all, With the installation of the CF hood, I have a mint condition Lapiz blue hood. Obviously I can post it for sale, but is there actually a market for an OEM hood? Where do you find a "market price"? Thanks so much! P.S.: wife loves the new look (though she doesn't "get" the...
  18. drshark

Installed: Revozport hood + Oettinger wing

Good morning all, Finally, here are pictures of the installed hood and wing (below). The paint job is absolutely wonderful--blame imperfections on the photography. The color match is spot on and the new pieces were installed without any over spray. In fact, on REALLY close inspection, the OEM...
  19. drshark

Advanti says no fit--HY owners?

Good day all, 7R's have done literally thousands of miles on Advanti HY wheels. But Advanti says, no they don't fit the 7R. I'm looking at a newer wheel, the Advanti SV (picture below) -- which, naturally "doesn't fit" either. A long and helpful email conversation with the folks at Advanti...
  20. drshark

Two sets of TPMS?

I'm preparing to buy a new set of wheels, then move the summer tires over to those wheels, then buy snow tires to put on the OEM wheels. (50-100 inches a year in Niagara Falls.) So, my questions are about the TPMS: Will the 7R work with two sets of TPMS? Is it something the dealer has...