GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. proton

Misfire, Start-stop error

I had a problem starting my 1.4TSi a few weeks ago, the car wouldn't start, wasn't firing, but after maybe 10 tries, it eventually spluttered into life, idling roughly to begin with but then settled after a bit of revving. And it didn't happen again... until today. This time it started, but was...
  2. proton

Traffic sign recogniton

As I've got the nav pro and lane assist in my mk7, I'm quite interested in using VCDS to activate the Traffic Sign Recognition on the multi-function display, i.e. the system that works via the LA camera. I'm not confident though about what precisely which parameters needs to be adjusted. Has...
  3. proton

How good are the door seals?

I've been noticing that after some rain the door seal inside the rear nearside door is wet where the other doors are not. There'll be water splashes on the inner paintwork at the bottom of the door, not of particular concern in itself, but also the bottom part of the inner seal will have...
  4. proton

Cleaning the air con

I've been noticing an 'earthy' smell recently when I enter my car when it's been left a while. Can't detect any mustiness from any surface anywhere so think it may be emanating from the air con/cc, even though there's no smell around the vents. I've used an air con bomb with limited success, and...
  5. proton

Climatronic knocking noise

I've become more aware in recent months of a knocking sound coming from the dashboard a couple of minutes after setting off, a series of muffled thumps from behind the dash for about 30 seconds or so. The noise is being made by the climatronic ventilation flaps, I've read it described as both an...
  6. proton

Squeak when engine stops

I've noticed my 1.4TSi (122) engine making a very brief (maybe 1/4 of a second) squeak when it shuts down. It's not noticeable at all when I'm in the car, but is very much so from outside the car. I'll have it looked at by the dealer when I can take it in, but has anyone else noticed something...
  7. proton

Rattle from door

I've seen a few posts of a similar door rattle issue over time, but it's a bit unclear whether there's anything like a definitive cure for it. I've a driver's door rattle that I'm certain is coming from the real lower corner area of the window as I look at it from the inside. Lowering the...
  8. proton

Clutch pedal vibration

I've had my 1.4 TSI the best part of a year, only covered 5,000 miles or so, and in that time have never been anywhere close to the red line, probably rarely much above 4,000 rpm. What I have noticed is that when it's taken a little higher than that, maybe 5,000 rpm, there's quite a bit of...
  9. proton

Steering quirk or fault?

Something I've become conscious of more and more is either a quirk or a fault with the steering on my Golf, and I don't know which it is. As we know, the steering sensitivity changes with speed by altering the amount of assistance the steering motor is giving. What I'm noticing on mine is when...
  10. proton

Is this normal?

One of those things I've only really noticed after 2k or so miles, and I don't know if I'm being finicky or pedantic, but... when the engine (1.4 tsi 122) is started from cold or even luke warm, no matter the outside temperature, for the first 20 seconds or so of driving it's a bit sluggish...
  11. proton

Start/Stop button

Here's a thing I've been noticing with the start/stop button in my mk7; I've had a number of occasions where I've pressed the button to deactivate the SS, only for it then to kick in anyway next time I stop the car in traffic. When I've looked at the button it's not been lit so the SS is still...
  12. proton

Adaptive Cruise Control

Just had my first long-ish run in the Mk7, first time using the ACC for any sustained period. Can't believe how well it works, makes slow-down, speed-up driving on single carriageways a pleasure. One thing it did leave me wondering was how much the brake lights are flashing on/off. It's...
  13. proton

Discount on options

Soon-to-be golf owner here, am about to start looking for a decent deal on a 1.4SE with a good number of optional extras; Nav Pro, xenons, park assist etc. In order to gauge to sort of discount I should be targeting, should I be setting the base price of the standard car apart from the extras...