GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by Scala

1. S

BBS CH-R 18X8.5" Opinions?

I like the looks, the German manufacture, the 8.5" width and the 47mm Offset. I don't like the weight at 23.0 lbs and "some talk" that they don't fit common big brake kits because "supposedly" the inward curvature of the spokes are not compatible with the bigger calipers of the Brembos. True or...
  2. S

APR Is being put on record.

My APR trained, master VW certified mechanic at a major VW dealership, will be talking to his direct contact at APR engineering tomorrow. The first question is what can be expected when he installs the intercooler, the turbo muffler delete and the turbo intake -parts removed from my GTI, on my...
  3. S

Comparing the 2019 Golf R headlights to the German Oscar LED clusters.

A few months ago I installed on my GTI the real German Osram LED headlight clusters (~$1,000) and they are truly great. Tomorrow I'm talking delivery of my new ride, a 2019 Golf R, and I don't know what to expect in the quality of the Low/High beam output. (For me it could be a deal breaker!)...
  4. S

8.5X19 for the Golf R ?

Moderators: Sorry, possible double post. While awaiting delivery of a Model R I want to find a very light wheel in size 8.5X19" with an ET and a spoke design that will fit without protruding from the fender line while clearing the springs/retainers. The car will not be lowered and the tires...
  5. S

245/35R19 instead of 235/35R19 on the 8X19 rims of the R ?

Has anyone tried a 10mm wider tire on the 2019 Model R's 8X19" rims? I'm getting my 2019 R in a few days and I want to jettison the OEM rubber and replace it with the RE-71R. The PS4S is not available in that size! In the process I'd like to bulge the sidewalks a little and add a few mm in...
  6. S

It'd better be good, soon.

After trying long and hard and unsuccessfully to put the power of my GTI APR 3 to the ground I finally broke down and ordered the much heavier and far less powerful 2019 model R. All I can say is that APR better come up with the 2019 R tuning stages or else I'm going to be one really peeved...
  7. S

APR Optional Exhaust Remote fits the 2019 R?

Has anybody installed the Optional APR Exhaust Remote on the 2019 R? Results? Thanks!
  8. S

Very high CO2 and CO levels.

My Mk 7 has the APR 2++ stages including the downpipe with the high flow catalytic converter. At idle rpm the CO2 levels in the exhaust are very high as attested by the significant sharp acid smells. The CO off course doesn't smell, it is the silent killer, but it registers 1800 ppm on the...
  9. S

Tire Width and Torque Steer.

Let's suppose that one changes the 225/40-18 Continental ECS and installs the 245/35-18 Michelin PS-4S, both on 8X18 ET45 rims. The car has Whitline LCA and the caster is 8°38'. No big difference in Contact Patch, 230cm2 to 244cm2 but the Michelin is stickier. The BIG question is if the...
  10. S

Torque Steer Compensation.

The torque steer is excessive on my non-LSD Mk7 (APR 2++) and I read that apparently the TSC can be adjusted via OBDeleven/VCDS. My question is if anybody has tried to do this and with what results. Does it work well, does it reduce the torque steer and how does it do it, brakes or...
  11. S

Did the GTI Clubsport S come with a strut bar?

Some McPherson cars can benefit from a front strut brace bar, others don't benefit from it and I think that IF the Mk7 GTI really needs one then the Clubsport S might have come with an OEM one. Many people install aftermarket bars and report improvements while others find no change other than...
  12. S

Will the 245/40R18 rub?

Looking specifically at the Bridgestone RE-71R in size 245/40R18 on 8X18 ET45 rims. Will they rub on the inner fender or the lip? The car is not lowered and I'm not using spacers. I don't expect them to rub since the radius will increase by only ~7mm over the 225/40 but I thought I'd ask...
  13. S

Neuspeed rims, who makes them?

The Neuspeed website is silent as to by whom the RSe 16 rims are made. No mention of technology either, Cast or Flow Formed. The rim size I really want is a 17X9 ET 45 or more but I haven't been able to find any in this size and until they become available I'm willing to settle for the 17X8.5...
  14. S

Billet Engine Mount and NVH.

I'm trying to eliminate a slight vibration caused noise that manifested itself at idle, only at idle, after the installation of a Dogbone and a Pendulum. Thinking to make the engine less capable of vibrating, something that this engine mount might help with...
  15. S

A turbo with better bottom end than the IS38?

My Mk 7 received APR I and II and finally the APR turbo tune to go with a IS38 turbocharger. Then I decided that the bottom end of the IS20 torque curve better suited my driving conditions and the IS38 was removed. The question is if there is knowledge of a turbocharger with a fuller bottom...