GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by MSchott

1. M

Anyone trade their mk7 for something more comfortable?

I find the idea of a stock GTI being harsh odd. I run 18” wheels and Michelin AS4 tires, am far from young and find the ride pleasant. The only issues are on sharp bumps.
  2. M

Failed Thermostat Housing/Coolant Loss Info Gathering

Maybe I’m lucky but the replacement housing installed at about 48,000 miles has been leak free. I’m now at 141,000 miles. Did they change the design?
  3. M

Nice to Know VWs are a Reliable as a Jeep :(

Modern cars are for the most part very reliable aside from Alfa and Fiat. Most issues are wonky interfaces that require a learning curve.
  4. M

Nice to Know VWs are a Reliable as a Jeep :(

YMMV like any car. Yes VW has below average reliability. My experience with my 2017 GTI Sport has been excellent. Other than the ubiquitous thermostat housing (fixed under warranty) and an issue with a worn seat bolster, in 140,000 miles the only services have been maintenance related. Original...
  5. M

Why can't I get rid of this car?

I still love my 2017 GTI Sport at 137,000 miles. It’s so much fun and mine has been very reliable. While I’d love to have a Cayman I need a family car. The only car I’d consider at a reasonable price is a Hyundai Elantra N. It’s everything the GTI is with a bit more space and 50 or so more hp.
  6. M

Confusing steering rack issue

There may be a problem with the steering rack but it’s a separate issue from the leaking oil.
  7. M

How to determine if carbon cleaning is needed

What kind is symptoms would you see with excess carbon build up? IMO it’s an expensive service just to do it. Maybe I’m well overdue but my 2017 has 134,000 miles and runs like a top. I’ve always run 93 octane and run it hard daily. It’s stock by the way.
  8. M

Looking for a carbon fiber MT shift knob…

Just installed the AliExpress CF and leather steering wheel and a matching CF shift knob would be a great match. Hard to find other than the EuroImpulse which I don’t like. Round would be preferred but not a deal breaker. Open to all suggestions.
  9. M

Notchy gear shifting

Smooth and easy, this is the way! You can’t rush shifts in these cars. It helps a bit to install a short shift kit and shorter weighted shift knob.
  10. M

EA 888 gen 3 possibly the most reliable engine?

Mine has been nearly dead reliable. 7 years old and 133,000 miles. Other than the thermostat issue (replaced under warranty at about 50,000 miles) nothing but regular oil changes and scheduled maintenance. It does burn a quart every 4000 miles now but that’s no big deal.
  11. M

Class action lawsuit letter (Waterpump)

If they ran a pressure test and found no leakage there’s nothing else they can do. Of course you have to pay for the test.
  12. M

AliExpress Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel

Question, maybe I'm not doing it right but the Ali Express page specifies only Mk7.5 models. Is it the same wheel you'd use on a 2017 Mk7? MT by the way.
  13. M

MQB - P20200 Fault - EPC

Everything fails over time. Nothing on a car is warranted forever.
  14. M

2019 GTI A/C not blowing as cool as it used to

All Freon costs have gone up 3/4 times over the last few years. And 1234YF machines are very expensive. Most Indy shops haven’t bought them yet. Yes it’s a job for a dealer right now.
  15. M

MK7 GTI over 100k, what am I in for?

Mine is a 2017 Sport 6MT bought in September of 2016. 128,000 miles. Thermostat housing replaced at about 48,000 miles. Regular oil changes. At 85,000 I had the plugs changed, coolant flushed and a few other services I can’t recall. New battery about the same time. New rotor and pads at 120,000...