GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by MattRabbit

1. MattRabbit

What did you do to your mk7 today?

If I had a GTI, I would have gotten the S model. Unfortunately, the SE and up Golf has a sunroof whether you want it or not. It's the dumbest design I've seen in a Golf. I've had a mk1, a mk4, and this mk7 - all have had sunroofs. The mk7 is the only one that's leaked.
  2. MattRabbit

What did you do to your mk7 today?

I cleaned and repaired the sunroof *again*. It was leaking on the wife today which means my RTV/VW vinyl fix wasn't fixed anymore. The vinyl that they use to cover the cracks had gotten water under it of course. The RTV was starting to flake off. I reapplied RTV and put another Vinyl bit...
  3. MattRabbit

VW Golf MK7 TSI 2015 Rear Accident

If nothing is damaged underneath, you can get away with a new hatch, taillights, and bumper/bumper cover. If it's damaged underneath, it's probably a write off. It'd be cheaper to get a new one in that case. Good luck!
  4. MattRabbit

GTI radio features

If you wind up with a 2015, you can upgrade the system from MIB1 to MIB2 to get CarPlay, but there's some hoops to jump through. I did that on my 2015 Golf, and so far it's been great. If you just buy a 2016 or newer, they came with Carplay from the factory. No need to worry.
  5. MattRabbit

Nice to Know VWs are a Reliable as a Jeep :(

I've had 4 VWs, all diesels. My mk1... wasn't reliable, but then again, what do you expect? My mk4 was a tank. It was a 2001 Golf TDI that I bought new in 2001 and drove for 18 years. I put 400K miles on that thing with nothing catastrophic failing on it. It still is on the original engine...
  6. MattRabbit

Lots of water in the spare tire well

Nope, it doesn't come through the flaps, just the seal. Mine was only about half full, but the trunk would be full of water (the photo at the beginning of the thread is mine). putting silicon RTV around the vent seal fixed the problem. Give it a shot and report back your findings. BTW, a...
  7. MattRabbit

Yes, I got it all sorted. It turned out it was the vents under the bumper cover leaking. I used RTV silicone around the vents and that fixed the issue. It's been totally dry for 2 years. In my case it was definitely not the flaps. It was the seal itself that was inadequate and needed some...
  8. MattRabbit

Golf key fob emblem replacement

Cool, so it's the 10mm emblem. The ECS link says 'does not fit', but it's nice to know that it really does. Thanks for the info!
  9. MattRabbit

Golf key fob emblem replacement

Does anyone know where to get a replacement VW emblem for the key fobs for the mk7? One of mine decided to drop off *somewhere* and will never be seen again. It seems no one sells replacements. Has anyone had to find/purchase a new one?
  10. MattRabbit

Sunroof leak

I used the VW tape with some silicon RTV. It's worked for several years now. I do like the idea of the gorilla patch and seal paint though. Paint it once and never think about it again! Mine wasn't leaking as bad as the OP, but it was dripping on my wife via the visor holes when it would...
  11. MattRabbit

I chased this problem for ages, and found out that just putting some sealant around the vents solves the issue. I really hope this solves the problem for you. I found out later on that they have a newer revision of the vents that have a larger gasket, probably to prevent this exact issue.
  12. MattRabbit

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

I just received my 8" glass screen from ebay ($165) and used my aliexpress chinesium bezel on it. It's slightly darker, but with the improvement in the screen, I can live with that.
  13. MattRabbit

The bezel has arrived, and it matches better than the dark gray or piano black, but it's still a couple of shades darker than the original. Still, I think it's going to work decently. When I get a screen and install it, I'll upload some pics so people can make up their own minds. It looks...
  14. MattRabbit

Just FYI, the 8" glass screen bezel in brushed aluminum is available on aliexpress now. I've ordered one ($31), and once it arrives I'll let you all know if it matches and looks ok. I'll still have to source a screen, but it seems they've really dropped in price as most VWs use them now.
  15. MattRabbit

I have a Golf TDI SE with Fender audio, and yes, the Fender amp works with the MIB2 setup. The head unit that I got came out of a 2017 GTI without Fender or Nav. Works perfectly.