GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by GenX Retread

1. GenX Retread

Can the detents in the DSG shifter be firmed up?

I find the detents between auto/manual and D/N to be kind of soft; sometimes the weight of my arm will pull or push it into the adjacent position when I'm driving to the library or church. Can it be adjusted or improved?
  2. GenX Retread

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Oh yeah I've already decided how to go about it, just looking for actual feedback on how it goes.
  3. GenX Retread

Does anybody tow a dirt bike or two with their GTI? Tell me all about that pls and thx. Pics would be sublime.
  4. GenX Retread

What did you do to your mk7 today?

Come here for the Maple Peso, stay for the weather.
  5. GenX Retread

A match made on Hoth. Now my F'ing driver's side door won't latch shut. Any advice?
  6. GenX Retread

Dogs

Yup. German car, German dog? I'm going to find out if he'll ride on a motorcycle.
  7. GenX Retread

Dogs

Six years ago today I made the call to the vet's office that nobody should ever have to make, and on Dec 13 2016 I lost my best friend and co-pilot. (This is also 1 day after the anniversary of my Dad's death.) She was a truly special and one-of-a-kind dog, and saw me through terrible times. I...
  8. GenX Retread

This run-on sentence is breathtaking. Any troubles I've had using my OBD11 I've solved on the OBD11 forums. Lots of activity there, including OBD11 support/techs.
  9. GenX Retread

Boys get your water pumps and thermostats

Smaller than what? This car is not smaller than either MkIII I owned, or my RX-7 or MX-5 for that matter, and later versions of those cars got bigger by the generation too. We definitely get WAY more performance and efficiency out of today's cars, no shit Sherlock. Explain why that necessitates...
  10. GenX Retread

Recommend you hire a Hobbit to throw them in the nearest volcano without delay.
  11. GenX Retread

A thermostat is supposed to be $12, and changed in a service station parking lot. We have lost our way.
  12. GenX Retread

Correct. They snap onto the ends of the seat rails. And they BUZZ. The sort of hard buzz older VW cars were known for, like a big fly banging on glass, triggered by slightly rough asphalt, or the heavy bass line on the intro to Headstones track 'Unsound', from their 1995 album 'Teeth & Tissue'...
  13. GenX Retread

MK7 Confessions

I have a 300Km daily commute... had Covid a month ago, life happened... you would not guess how many Km since my last oil change. It would give some of you a stroke, best not to ask. (It goes in Monday for service.) My 16 month old car will be out of warranty in another 6 weeks.
  14. GenX Retread

Not today, but... found and fixed something that has been making me go insane for almost a year. A knighthood, lands and titles to whomever brings me the severed head of the MF who's responsible for these being in my car. Gold star next to your name if you can guess why. One hint: there were...
  15. GenX Retread

JFC this car has a $500 thermostat?