GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recent content by AsymmetricKururin

1. A

software update eliminates misfire?

My vehicle is a Golf R so I posted this question under the Golf R section, but same engine as GTI so I am linking to it from here: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55386 Most of the threads I've read about the misfire on Mk7 engines come from GTI owners. Also, I was wondering...
  2. A

Battery disconnected, now have malfunctions

I have a MK7 Golf with low mileage, no prior electrical or electronic component issues. While attempting to install a battery maintainer, the negative battery cable popped off the post and caused a spark when it touched back down. I decided to not risk other problems while I was fighting...
  3. A

Engine damage from occasional misfire?

My car has misfires on random cylinders, especially when I first start the engine, even on a hot day. The engine does not sound or feel like it's running rough - it sounds a smooth as it ever did. I know the misfires are happening because I've have a friend ride with me on a few occasions to...
  4. A

Technical Service Bulletin 2050261/1 to address misfire?

Question: Is updating the software version for the Engine Control Module (ECM) from v.2 (I think) to v.3 (per TSB 2050261/1) likely to address the problem of "phantom" random misfires and the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) check-engine light? Background Info: -- 2017 Golf R, manual...
  5. A

Front jack pad adapters not very useful

A while ago nicholam77 did a really helpful, detailed post on acquiring and installing the OEM Audi Jack Pad Adapters. It looked like a great idea because I didn't want to have to jack up the back corner of the car extra high just so I could get a jackstand under the front pinch weld. The...
  6. A

Winter Tire Thread

Be aware of brake caliper clearance on 17" wheels I have to agree with nate704 that Golf R & GTI calipers can be an issue when fitting a 17" wheel. Here are some close-up pictures of my winter wheels and brake calipers. BTW, I purchased these wheels in Canada from Fastco and selected a...
  7. A

Canadian supplier of alloy wheels

When I started shopping around for winter wheels that were specifically designed to fit my Mk7 Golf R I came to realize that Canadians have limited options compared to forum members in the US or UK. The shipping and brokerage fees made imported wheels unaffordable for me. I eventually found...
  8. A

Does wheel offset affect brake caliper clearance?

Fastco Wheels Mounted, with pictures As promised, here is the information about the 17" winter wheels I chose for my Golf R as well as some pictures to show clearance for brake calipers. In Canada, the options for after-market alloy wheels that are engineered to fit like the OEM wheels is...
  9. A

Does wheel offset affect brake caliper clearance?

I am researching 17" winter wheels for my MkVII Golf R. Based on the posts I have read, I believe the larger brake calipers on the R require a bit of extra clearance inside the wheel (as compared to other models of Golf). The only model of winter wheel shown on the Canadian VW website that...