GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DCC Retrofit

doctor

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
@Cuzoe @doctor @AWD4416

DCC fun begins next week. Blind Spot Monitor, TPMS and a memory seat took forever and a day.

DCC module is plumbed into the CANs and Body Control and all fused up (without fuse in - risking parasitic draw)

Need to do a pokey hole through a few of the grommets to get the wires to the shocks. Any hints on this one? especially to avoid rainwater? All I've found so far is this : https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/man...mk7-golf/running-cables-through-the-firewall/

Coding attempt will be as follows:

Add Electronic Dampening 14 from gateway list.

Module 01 Engine​

Operating Mode Selection

Module 03 Brakes/ABS Long Coding​

ABS module Byte 27 Bit 7 is the "DCC Installed" bit.

Module 4b Long Coding​

Chassis Unit

Eco Mode - > Enabled ( perhaps get around the FPA by getting eco as a bonus mode here?)

Source Height Value ->BCM -> DCC

LWR Sensors

Steering Curve

Module 4b Adaptation​

Presentation Mode

Installation List -> Specified Installations -> ??

Module 5f Adaptations​

P damping display

Car Func List BAP Gen2 -> ENG122229-ENG117736-Car_Function_List_BAP_Gen2-charisma_0x17" >> Active

Car Func Adaptations Gen2 -> tbc

Car Func List CAN Gen2 -> tbc

DISPLAY 5F – Adaptation 10 – Air Suspension – ?? think this is only for super Audi's and bentley's.

Module 5f Long Coding?​

TBC

Module 09 Central Electrics (Suspected but not confirmed)​

The options in here are mainly in German but I’m pretty sure there may be an option in here to at least check.

Module 13 ACC Adaptations (Suspected but not confirmed)​

There are some modes in here for Race and Comfort. Don’t know if there is something to be changed in here?

Module 17 Dashboard​

Wheel Dampening Electronics - >Yes

Module 17 Dashboard Long Coding​

Adaptive Chassis Control -> Installed

Module 19 Gateway Adaptation​

Byte 12 Bit 7 and now DCC is visible in Individual selection.

Module 19 Gateway Long Coding​

FPA FunktionStuffenDCC -> Active

FahrProfilAuswahl ->Driving profile Selection

BCME Komforte Reichweite -> Comfort range

Module 44 Steering Assistance​

Wheel Dampening Electronics ->Active

Module 20 High Beam + 55 Xenon Headlights​

The headlights will have previously been getting their positioning exclusively based on the rear level sensor G76 so we’ll need to code it so that they get their message from DCC from now on. This will be done in Module 4B . 20 or 55 which I don’t seem to have but definitely have bi-xenons ??
55 - Headlight range control unit, disable byte 1 bit 3, this makes the leveling sensor info to come through CAN and not via direct sensor connection

19 CANT GATEWAY - BINGO! Byte 12 Bit 7 and now DCC is visible in Individual selection.

@doctor So i came across a 19 Gateway blockmap which I think re-enforces your theory on FPA profiles ! see below from another vehicle online:

IDE07873-MAS06193FPA enabled profiles-Profile 1Comfort
IDE07873-MAS06194FPA enabled profiles-Profile 2AUTO
IDE07873-MAS06195FPA enabled profiles-Profile 3Not Used
IDE07873-MAS06196FPA enabled profiles-Profile 4Not Used
IDE07873-MAS06197FPA enabled profiles-Profile 5ECONOMY
IDE07873-MAS06198FPA enabled profiles-Profile 6RACE
IDE07873-MAS06199FPA enabled profiles-Profile 7INDIVIDUAL
IDE07873-MAS06200FPA enabled profiles-Profile 8Not Used
IDE07873-MAS08875FPA enabled profiles-Profile 9Not Used
IDE07873-MAS08876FPA enabled profiles-Profile 10Not Used
IDE07873-MAS08877FPA enabled profiles-Profile 11Not Used
IDE07873-MAS08878FPA enabled profiles-Profile 12Not Used
you can use a screwdriver for the hole. also if you have 3Q gateway you can use slider for DCC comfort range

GT15JCG

Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Humour my mad idea for a second, I'm non dcc and in the market for a electronic depending suspension kit.

Looked at some bilstein b16 ride control but I'm quickly realising that i'll barely get any use out of them (daily driver/one track day), found a deal on some b16 off a golf r for £800 (i have a gti) I've heard they fit but spring rate is different cus of the rear diff weight on the R.

My question is would it be possible to hard wire factory dcc suspension w/ lowering springs to a button or buttons as a cheaper option, I'm not bothered about retrofiting it to the cars drive mode settings.

Just looking for some lows and comfort adjustability on the cheap.

Thanks 👍🏽

jamstonmartames

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GOLF 7.5
Humour my mad idea for a second, I'm non dcc and in the market for a electronic depending suspension kit.

Looked at some bilstein b16 ride control but I'm quickly realising that i'll barely get any use out of them (daily driver/one track day), found a deal on some b16 off a golf r for £800 (i have a gti) I've heard they fit but spring rate is different cus of the rear diff weight on the R.

My question is would it be possible to hard wire factory dcc suspension w/ lowering springs to a button or buttons as a cheaper option, I'm not bothered about retrofiting it to the cars drive mode settings.

Thanks 👍🏽
2 scenarios, possibly 3.

The B16's you're looking at are plug and play for DCC.
You'd need some form of control module if you wanted adjustability from the comfort of being in your seat (as oppose to getting under the car and turning the notches on all four shocks) eg the dcc control unit found in a golf + accelerometers + levelling sensors (x3) or x2 if you have xenons and a lot of wiring + coding time.

The B16's aren't plug and play
Then you can't use these for a DCC setup.

The b16's are plug and play, you've decided you're brave and you still want a magic button.
You can repurpose reserved button functionality in 09. Central Electrics ->Button in Center Console->Function of Button [X]->Driving Program or Valet Mode or 10-15 not defined.

scrllock

Autocross Champion

Thanks 👍🏽
AFAIK there's only two b16 part numbers: one for dcc and one without. awd/fwd share the same parts/spring rates.

doctor

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Specifically an Arteon flash or a golf one works too if you've got 3q gateway?
original firmware works good you don't need anything else, just it needs correct data and configuration.
Do you know where to find the flashdaten for this? FL_5Q0907376C_0130.frf @Cuzoe @doctor
i have it but i will not share, if you want i can flash it.
just a tip; don't flash it, use original firmware.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
On topic since we're talking flashed/data... I've got the slider showing in the Individual profile. It works (or at least it works enough that sliding it all the way left past comfort is soft and all the way right past sport is stiff, I haven't really tried the intermediate ones honestly). But in my other profiles, Eco, Comfort, Normal, Sport DCC is only set to something stuff, although it shows different settings if I hit the info button.

It seems to me this is an FPA dataset issue. I'm digging through that using @Chillout's template while also preoccupied with other things. But my DCC module is index B. From what I had read index C was required for the slider to work. Is that not accurate?

Obviously I love the slider but I'd rather have the different modes working. Might a flash to Index C solve my current issue?

Tangentially, I've got what also may be an FPA dataset issue with the soundaktor. It shows "comfort" in the info screen of every driving mode. But in the settings of Individual while it shows comfort it has an empty selection box. So I'm not able to try normal/sport.

My car, having not come with soundaktor has custom A9 firmware but the only customization was to get rid of the VIN/Engine type mask that previously generated an error in the module. I currently have no faults and the output test works. I'm not really sure it's even doing anything set to comfort, but I guess it should be subtle.

jamstonmartames

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GOLF 7.5
On topic since we're talking flashed/data... I've got the slider showing in the Individual profile. It works (or at least it works enough that sliding it all the way left past comfort is soft and all the way right past sport is stiff, I haven't really tried the intermediate ones honestly). But in my other profiles, Eco, Comfort, Normal, Sport DCC is only set to something stuff, although it shows different settings if I hit the info button.

It seems to me this is an FPA dataset issue. I'm digging through that using @Chillout's template while also preoccupied with other things. But my DCC module is index B. From what I had read index C was required for the slider to work. Is that not accurate?

Obviously I love the slider but I'd rather have the different modes working. Might a flash to Index C solve my current issue?

Tangentially, I've got what also may be an FPA dataset issue with the soundaktor. It shows "comfort" in the info screen of every driving mode. But in the settings of Individual while it shows comfort it has an empty selection box. So I'm not able to try normal/sport.

My car, having not come with soundaktor has custom A9 firmware but the only customization was to get rid of the VIN/Engine type mask that previously generated an error in the module. I currently have no faults and the output test works. I'm not really sure it's even doing anything set to comfort, but I guess it should be subtle.
@Chillout is a bit of a legend with these things. In order to use the template, do you need to export your own xml parameters from the gateway to decipher what is missing or do you just use a template from elsewhere?

jamstonmartames

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GOLF 7.5
original firmware works good you don't need anything else, just it needs correct data and configuration.

i have it but i will not share, if you want i can flash it.
just a tip; don't flash it, use original firmware.
Is that because sharing isn't permitted on here? I've got ODIS if that's what you were thinking was the hurdle?

Also, do you know if v0130 is the normal arteon DCC or the DCC R as per this link?
https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/en/dynamic-chassis-control-dcc-3949

"The most advanced Dynamic Chassis Control (DCC) system currently available is installed on the Arteon. The system is available in two variants, the standard version with a specially balanced blend of driving comfort and dynamics, and a sports version, the DCC R. Although it also offers high levels of comfort, the balance of the sports version has been shifted slightly towards sporty performance. Both versions allow the adaptive dampers to be controlled via conventional driving profile selection (Comfort, Normal and Sport) and, for the first time, with infinitely variable settings over an extended range using a slide control in the individual setting menu (Comfort+ to Sport+)"

GT15JCG

Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
AFAIK there's only two b16 part numbers: one for dcc and one without. awd/fwd share the same parts/spring rates.
My assumption was the b16 ride control was a aftermarket solution for the people without dcc, but it makes alot of sense that it they would be a plug and play kit for cars that already have it.
2 scenarios, possibly 3.

The B16's you're looking at are plug and play for DCC.
You'd need some form of control module if you wanted adjustability from the comfort of being in your seat (as oppose to getting under the car and turning the notches on all four shocks) eg the dcc control unit found in a golf + accelerometers + levelling sensors (x3) or x2 if you have xenons and a lot of wiring + coding time.

The B16's aren't plug and play
Then you can't use these for a DCC setup.

The b16's are plug and play, you've decided you're brave and you still want a magic button.
You can repurpose reserved button functionality in 09. Central Electrics ->Button in Center Console->Function of Button [X]->Driving Program or Valet Mode or 10-15 not defined.
Would i not just be able to run a few wires to the factory dcc plug on the shock with a few switches.

Surely the module is just used for the level sensors and to communicate with the radio and the suspension unless i'm underestimating what the module does.

I'm not look to have the adjustment through the module or the "mode" button, I'd be happy with having a few buttons in the cup holder or centre console something similar to the b16 ride control button. Im no electrician by any means but surely all the module is sending is a power signal that changes the stiffness of the dampers, that could easily be replaced with a few wires and buttons. 🤷🏽‍♂️

*Sounds like some hack sh*t but if it worked 🤷🏽‍♂️ budget dcc*

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220308-233013_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220308-233013_Chrome.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 66

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
The B16 ride control is, from what I can tell, essentially aftermarket DCC for any car.

You are indeed underestimating what the DCC module does. The DCC module, via values in the FPA (driving profile) dataset, determines how much voltage to apply to each of the dampers based on level sensor input and accelerometer data. The applied voltage is not static.

The different modes essentially set a base voltage/range within which the dampers will adjust. Vehicle speed is also taken into account. DCC is constantly controlling compression and rebound, regardless of the selected mode. For example, even in comfort a damper that's under compression and near it's compression limit will be stiff. Which is why ride quality is compromised when people install lowering springs on a DCC equipped car without running basic settings.

If the system was simply a static voltage application this wouldn't be the case. You could use VCDS and look at the measuring values and see if there is a specific voltage applied in each drive mode when at rest. Then you could wire up a switch/pot setup to apply said voltage. But I would bet a lot of money you will have a better ride if you just pick up manually adjustable dampers.

Last edited:

GT15JCG

Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
The B16 ride control is, from what I can tell, essentially aftermarket DCC for any car.

You are indeed underestimating what the DCC module does. The DCC module, via values in the FPA (driving profile) dataset, determines how much voltage to apply to each of the dampers based on level sensor input and accelerometer data. The applied voltage is not static.

The different modes essentially set a base voltage/range within which the dampers will adjust. Vehicle speed is also taken into account. DCC is constantly controlling compression and rebound, regardless of the selected mode. For example, even in comfort a damper that's under compression and near it's compression limit will be stiff. Which is why ride quality is compromised when people install lowering springs on a DCC equipped car without running basic settings.

If the system was simply a static voltage application this wouldn't be the case. You could use VCDS and look at the measuring values and see if there is a specific voltage applied in each drive mode when at rest. Then you could wire up a switch/pot setup to apply said voltage. But I would bet a lot of money you will have a better ride if you just pick up manually adjustable dampers.
A switch with variable voltage can be easily done, if i was to install the shocks and left them unplugged would they be left on it's last setting or would it reset to a default setting?

Id essentially use the shocks like the mk6 shocks that have set modes just on a button rather than bother with the level controls and shizz

Last edited: