Attachments

• ezgif.com-resize.gif
    ezgif.com-resize.gif
    502.9 KB · Views: 552

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
So.....
Where does all the power come from?
Coal, Nuke, Hydro-Ha, Wind-HA HA Better yet solar - Ha.

Also where will all the raw material come from?
Recycling. Disposal.

A joke.

Give my Hydrogen.

Laugh all you want, I'll have the last one. My rooftop solar puts me better than net-zero. I sell more electricity back to the grid than I use for my home. I could charge an electric car every night and still be net-zero. If I had to commute by car less than 80 miles every day, I would absolutely be in an electric car. The only thing that prevents me from getting an electric car today is range. Can't get from my main home to my summer home on one charge, and I don't need a car to get to work as I bike to work.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Laugh all you want, I'll have the last one. My rooftop solar puts me better than net-zero. I sell more electricity back to the grid than I use for my home. I could charge an electric car every night and still be net-zero. If I had to commute by car less than 80 miles every day, I would absolutely be in an electric car. The only thing that prevents me from getting an electric car today is range. Can't get from my main home to my summer home on one charge, and I don't need a car to get to work as I bike to work.

Solar has a place and would be the easiest to do in a single family home and higher income owners will be first. Of them all I would do solar at home but I do not want panels on the roof. I know it is unused space but unless I have something better than shingles the last thing I want are support legs bolted to my roof. Mounted on a pole away from house so it can rotate yes. If in a windy location maybe a wind generator. But these items for every home or apartment will be costly to start and maintain.

Maybe if we get much more efficient at using power it would help.
I am still waiting for the light weight battery powered commuter car. Stop making electric cars out of full size sedans.

I want one of these for getting to work and running around.

https://youtu.be/2zbBcuTtF4E

Only the 1st or 3rd vehicles in the next video.
Would not be caught dead in the others.

https://youtu.be/SawqMSTYUSk

Last edited:

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
How much did that rooftop solar setup cost you?

About $25,000 after tax credits, $37,500 before. But, it's being paid for on a 0% interest loan over 10 years thanks to a local green energy program through my city. And given my calculated consumption of $2700/year, ROI is less than 10 years. My monthly payment is actually less than what my average electric bill used to be. The panels and inverter have a 20 year warranty. They're Tesla.

Ouch. How do they work to provide air conditioning, heat and hot water?

Heat/HW are gas. The house is still grid-tied, so any time the solar cannot meet the demand (e.g., nighttime, rain), electricity flows from the grid into my home. When the panels overproduce (e.g., midday) the net flow is back out to the utility. The meter can read forward and backward (called net metering). The "net" difference is calculated on a monthly basis. I have had the system for three years and there have been only two months in which I have not net-overproduced. Once during a really hot August when we used a lot of A/C and once during a particularly dark and rainy December, and my bills were under $20 those months.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Once during a really hot August when we used a lot of A/C and once during a particularly dark and rainy December, and my bills were under $20 those months.

A friend of mine put a solar roof on his house; in the winter he pays no electric bill at all (no net metering here, sadly), and it was going to be cost-neutral with the tax credits... Until the city decided to start doing drive-bys of people's houses and then sending the inspectors to re-assess the property taxes of anyone with solar power, calling it a "home improvement." Bye-bye tax credit. This, in a supposedly tree-hugging progressive environmentally conscious midwest college town. What a bunch of hypocrites.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
A friend of mine put a solar roof on his house; in the winter he pays no electric bill at all (no net metering here, sadly), and it was going to be cost-neutral with the tax credits... Until the city decided to start doing drive-bys of people's houses and then sending the inspectors to re-assess the property taxes of anyone with solar power, calling it a "home improvement." Bye-bye tax credit. This, in a supposedly tree-hugging progressive environmentally conscious midwest college town. What a bunch of hypocrites.

Yeah, tactics like this are happening all over in cities and states, but especially in ones where the oil and gas lobbies are particularly strong. The industry groups petition legislators to come up with all sorts of fees and penalties to make solar less enticing. Also, the electric utilities don't like solar because it cuts into their profits. But solar is only going to get cheaper, more efficient and more cost effective as time goes by, so it's not going away.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
About $25,000 after tax credits, $37,500 before. But, it's being paid for on a 0% interest loan over 10 years thanks to a local green energy program through my city. And given my calculated consumption of $2700/year, ROI is less than 10 years. My monthly payment is actually less than what my average electric bill used to be. The panels and inverter have a 20 year warranty. They're Tesla.

Heat/HW are gas. The house is still grid-tied, so any time the solar cannot meet the demand (e.g., nighttime, rain), electricity flows from the grid into my home. When the panels overproduce (e.g., midday) the net flow is back out to the utility. The meter can read forward and backward (called net metering). The "net" difference is calculated on a monthly basis. I have had the system for three years and there have been only two months in which I have not net-overproduced. Once during a really hot August when we used a lot of A/C and once during a particularly dark and rainy December, and my bills were under $20 those months.

I have a small total electric house. I think my highest electric bill was $150 last summer. Winter I don't get to $150 in the coldest month, but of course it's not as cold here. Electricity costs about 12 cents per kW.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I have a small total electric house. I think my highest electric bill was $150 last summer. Winter I don't get to $150 in the coldest month, but of course it's not as cold here. Electricity costs about 12 cents per kW.

Electric costs about $0.21/kWh where I am.

I forgot to mention above that every time I reach 2MW of overproduction (2MW sent back to the utility after subtracting all that has flowed into my home) I get a check from the utility for $210, the retail price of electricity. These are called SRECS. I manage about 2 of these per year.