GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking for recommendations on a standing desk

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Hey all,

How many of you are working at a standing desk (or a standing desk converter that sits on your regular desk and moves up and down)? I've been intrigued lately due to some posture issues and a new found focus on fitness. If you have one you like, please share a link!

I have a pretty large desktop setup, so fitting everything seems like it could be tricky. My current keyboard, mouse, and tablet arrangement take up about 45" (the cabinet above my monitors will have to go, but I'm not using it anyway).

Thanks,
Adam

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
Who's paying, you or your employer? The company I work for carries OFS products including sit-to-stand desks for rent (or purchase), there's a distribution center in Atlanta.

I'm not trying to advertise, if you want info just PM me.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

tknj99

Ready to race!
I work from home FT in the IT field and had read into the whole standing desk stuff and held off.. then this article came out with results indicating that its not as healthy as it initially seemed..
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-health/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.efb9ea32dc22

My suggestion would be to just get up and stretch every so often.. i do house chores in between work tasks so that helps.. and then ofcourse, make sure you have the right fitness goals.... treadmill, gym, etc.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I work from home FT in the IT field and had read into the whole standing desk stuff and held off.. then this article came out with results indicating that its not as healthy as it initially seemed..
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-health/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.efb9ea32dc22

My suggestion would be to just get up and stretch every so often.. i do house chores in between work tasks so that helps.. and then ofcourse, make sure you have the right fitness goals.... treadmill, gym, etc.

It's interesting because I just had a discussion with our in-house fitness director that holds a PhD in biomechanics or something, and he said that there was a recent study that showed that "sitting is the new smoking."

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Everyone that has one where I work has the Varidesk, people love them but they are quite pricey, $400-700. Good option when the company is buying it for you.

Sitting all day is really bad for you. Leads to blood clot complications and other interesting/terrible phenomena.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Everyone that has one where I work has the Varidesk, people love them but they are quite pricey, $400-700. Good option when the company is buying it for you.

Sitting all day is really bad for you. Leads to blood clot complications and other interesting/terrible phenomena.

Thanks for the lead!

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
I think it is also good to make one foot higher than the other when standing at the desk. Maybe a small 6” foot stool so you can alternate and rest one foot up on it.

Like Captain Morgan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
sandmangti said:
I think it is also good to make one foot higher than the other when standing at the desk. Maybe a small 6” foot stool so you can alternate and rest one foot up on it.

It's certainly more comfortable, hence the reason bars have always had a brass foot rail.

As far as convertible desks are concerned, I think Varidesk is pretty much the gold standard. We have them in my office, and I've yet to see one break.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

Like Captain Morgan.

Thanks, that's smart. I also got a recommendation to put one of those foam mats down if I start standing more than sitting.

As far as convertible desks are concerned, I think Varidesk is pretty much the gold standard. We have them in my office, and I've yet to see one break.

Yeah, I think that's our standard order as well in other departments. My workspace is pretty large as a digital artist. I need my space haha. I'm going to try one of these and be the guinea pig for the office to see how it holds up since they offer a pretty large option. It also has a bigger keyboard tray than most for my huge, mechanical keyboard. Also, a bit cheaper than the VariDesk as well. Only time will tell if it holds up to the abuse, but I'm okay being the test guy.

https://livdesk.com/products/livdesk-ultra

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks, that's smart. I also got a recommendation to put one of those foam mats down if I start standing more than sitting.

Yeah, I think that's our standard order as well in other departments. My workspace is pretty large as a digital artist. I need my space haha. I'm going to try one of these and be the guinea pig for the office to see how it holds up since they offer a pretty large option. It also has a bigger keyboard tray than most for my huge, mechanical keyboard. Also, a bit cheaper than the VariDesk as well. Only time will tell if it holds up to the abuse, but I'm okay being the test guy.

https://livdesk.com/products/livdesk-ultra

Get a thick mat and go barefoot.
Casual Friday.