GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do you let your wife drive your VW\Audi?

Pingers

Ready to race!
One of my wifes friend loves to stir the pot and asked her why she doesn’t drive my Audi if we are married and how they want to take it out. And...of course now I get to hear about it on a regular basis.

I’m super anal about my cars. I keep them clean inside and out. 24/7. I even make my 8 year old click his feet togther to remove debris before he climbs in the backseat. She is the complete opposite. If I don’t wash it and keep it tidy, it just doesn’t happen. Nor does she have the slightest clue how to handle a slammed car with a carbon fiber front lip. She also always parks in the first open spot. So she drives her car and I drive my own. But she doesn’t like that. She wants to drive mine to work and basically any where she wants.

I work from home and she works in a clinic next to a grocery store where nobody has respect for vehciles. So my Audi stays in the garage until I go to the gym each night or weekend fun.

Back to my main question; how many of you let your wives drive your car? I get it, I drive an A3. BFG right? I have anxiety just thinking about it lol.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Mine doesn't like to drive manual (although she knows how. Even used to drive 3 on the tree). This kind of works out for me,seeing how she treats her own car. If she asked, I wouldn't be opposed, but there would definitely be some stress involved.

That being said. Obviously your wife's bf is a bad influence. Need to get her out of your life. Hint to your wife that she's been coming on to you should do the trick.

Wetelvis

Ready to race!
My Girlfriend knows how anal I can be with my car. She drives my truck and she reluctantly drove my previous car but she’s not once brought up driving my GTI since I got it last August ?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Yup...I'm the same way as you OP, EXACTLY.
I didn't let her drive my car before either.

And now, unfortunately, we have to share cars now and she's driving my VW (which is "just" a Passat V6) but it was in perfect condition when I gave it to her. Of course, she trashed it right away
When I ask her about rock chips or any dirt/damage to it, it's ALWAYS the same reply "it wasn't me" :rolleyes:
I flipped out when she curbed a winter wheel this past winter (which were OEM wheels in perfect condition)....she said "don't get mad..." and then I went in the garage and saw the carnage and lost it.

We just got a '18 Traverse (again no big deal) and that'll be the family hauler for when our 3rd kid shows up. She hasn't driven it yet, but I'm dreading the day because she won't park back in the parking lot to avoid damage or stuff like that. The thing is HUGE and I know she'll end up running into or over shit, or opening the doors into other cars and what not.

TLDR...she's careless too and it sucks :(

crgirl3388

Passed Driver's Ed
I hate letting my husband drive my car! He's the only person who's hurt her so far(curbed wheel and door dent) plus he complains about how she handles compared to his wrx. Im just like whatever...go get in your car and enjoy your shitty interior and 18 mpg[emoji58]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

SpaceGhost

Ready to race!
One of my wifes friend loves to stir the pot and asked her why she doesn’t drive my Audi if we are married and how they want to take it out. And...of course now I get to hear about it on a regular basis.

I’m super anal about my cars. I keep them clean inside and out. 24/7. I even make my 8 year old click his feet togther to remove debris before he climbs in the backseat. She is the complete opposite. If I don’t wash it and keep it tidy, it just doesn’t happen. Nor does she have the slightest clue how to handle a slammed car with a carbon fiber front lip. She also always parks in the first open spot. So she drives her car and I drive my own. But she doesn’t like that. She wants to drive mine to work and basically any where she wants.

I work from home and she works in a clinic next to a grocery store where nobody has respect for vehciles. So my Audi stays in the garage until I go to the gym each night or weekend fun.

Back to my main question; how many of you let your wives drive your car? I get it, I drive an A3. BFG right? I have anxiety just thinking about it lol.
Yeah an a3 is just a fancy golf. The solution for me in the past was a standard. I remember my wife insisting that she needed to know how to drive my car. The funny part is I tried to teach her 4 or 5 times and every time it was like it was the first.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
My wife doesn't ask but if she did I'd let her. She knows how I am and if there was a problem with the car when she returned she knows how ill be for weeks.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5T using Tapatalk

adam1991

Banned

It's just a car. I'm shocked that your kids haven't disabused you of this attitude--because kids will be kids, and you can't stop that.

The fact is, I bought this GTI w/DSG specifically because of my wife. We're getting older, and she has a bum ankle that prevents her from clutching. I *wanted* her to be able to drive the fun car in the family. And lord knows, GTI is a fun car.

What I didn't realize right away was how fun it was with DSG. It's like the best of both worlds, frankly.

So yeah, of course I let her. Hell, I encourage her.

It's just a thing. It really doesn't matter in the scheme of life.

I remember a friend of mine was a stereo freak, and when his first child came along he was freaking out about her touching his rig and wrecking things. A couple of years later he was totally relaxed about it all. He was raising children, not stereo gear.

And I'm in a relationship with my wife. I enjoy my car, but I enjoy just as much having *her* enjoy the car.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion

We are a one-car family in a dense urban setting, so it's moot point for us-- we both have to drive the same car.

Back when we used to live in SoCal we had two cars. We were both obsessed about them (this was before kids), but they were still appliances, designed to be used. We each had 30 minute commutes in opposite directions. We'd swap cars every couple of weeks just to switch things up and be able to enjoy both cars for their differences.

I used to be the main person responsible for their maintenance, and before kids I would spend weekends detailing them. Once when I was away for work for a week, my wife surprised me with having changed the oil herself (she consulted friends and youtube) and did a full detail on one of the cars as a welcome home gift. So to get back to the OP's original topic, no, I've never had any issues with my wife driving any of our cars. Our cars have always been shared and I trust my wife to do anything to the car that I would, because I know she would research it beforehand. Whether she'd have an interest in doing so is something altogether different.

Now that we have kids, a dog, a side business in addition to our career jobs, and a second home to maintain, we don't have time to even wash our cars (car) more than a few times a year.

As for clomping your feet together before getting into the car to help shake off mud and salty slush? That's just a smart idea, regardless if you're anal about your car or not. It's part of our winter routine for getting into the car. We even keep old rag towels on top of the mats in the winter, and shake them out/swap them for clean ones every week or two. They absorb most of the water and contaminants that come into the car during the winter. Sounds anal, but it's more about taking small steps to extend how long we can go without washing the car, which like I already said, is only a few times a year.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I remember when I was kid back in the early 1980s, my doctor Uncle got a new BMW 735 (top of the range in the pre-V12 days), and one day when we were at his house admiring the car after dinner, my mom asked my aunt if she'd driven it yet. "Not until it has its 1st scratch" was her reply.

As for me, I don't let anyone drive my cars, regardless of how nice anyone else perceive them to be. Yeah, my last car may have been "just a Civic Si," but it was my Civic Si. Of course, kids make your car dirty and spouses can be careless, so I've solved that problem by not having either of them. :D

adam1991

Banned
I remember when I was kid back in the early 1980s, my doctor Uncle got a new BMW 735 (top of the range in the pre-V12 days), and one day when we were at his house admiring the car after dinner, my mom asked my aunt if she'd driven it yet. "Not until it has its 1st scratch" was her reply.

As for me, I don't let anyone drive my cars, regardless of how nice anyone else perceive them to be. Yeah, my last car may have been "just a Civic Si," but it was my Civic Si. Of course, kids make your car dirty and spouses can be careless, so I've solved that problem by not having either of them. :D

yes, I'm sure *you* solved that problem.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
yes, I'm sure *you* solved that problem.

Believe it or not, it's possible to perfectly happy while remaining unmarried and childless. Not only does my car stay clean, no one ever steals my leftovers from the fridge, and all the covers remain mine. :D

EDIT: OK, so I did used to wish there was someone to make me coffee in the morning, so I fixed that by purchasing an automatic coffee machine with a timer. For the full married experience, I'll just need to program the coffeemaker to nag me endlessly, and I'm all set.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
no one ever steals my leftovers from the fridge

You mean the half empty bottles of ketchup and mustard, and the stale leftovers from Taco Bell? ;) For most of my unmarried male friends, that's how their fridges are stocked.

At least I get to come home to a home-cooked meal most nights. :)