GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sandman GTI MK7 PP DCC Lighting Pkg - The Journey begins!

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Santa has Arrived! Take a look.

It is that time of year and Santa dropped off some over stock items.

I have some items that I can not or will not be using, that I would like to make available to my fellow forum members. The items are free and I am willing to pay shipping - USA, but will look into other areas unless the cost shoots up. The only thing I ask is you ask for items you want or can use. My goal is for you to not resell and make money. I would rather a forum member get something that would help them.:)

I think I have some good items this year if they find a fit.

First come:
PM the item you want and let me know where you want it shipped.
Once an item is spoken for I will post an updated note.
Thanks!

Item Shipped - Thanks
Item 1

Wheels lock set. Ordered for my OZ Leggera 18x8, but the key diameter is too large to fit the hole no matter how many times the vendor says they should work. Made in Germany and shipped over. I am not an expert on fitment for your wheel so hopefully you can determine. Info: bolt OD - 23.72mm or .934". Key OD - 25.8mm or 1.014" Chrome face.
IMG_2953.JPG

Item shipped.
Item 2
- Same as item 1. Yes I have two. Both are keyed as a set so one does not open the other.

Item 3 - VW Frame. Not my dealer but where wife's car came from. Murfreesboro, TN. Up for shipping as I know some members collect these. Plastic/chrome - great shape.
IMG_2954.JPG

THIS ITEM HAS BEEN SPOKEN FOR. Thanks!
SHIPPED-6 DEC.
Item 4
- Matte Black Frame - Good quality, heavy. I did not like the black on white. I use the Chrome version.
IMG_2955.JPG

THIS ITEM HAS BEEN SPOKEN FOR. Thanks!
Item has shipped. 10 Dec 16
Item 5 - R8 Oil cap. Purchased before GTI arrived. Vendor sated for a MK7 GTI but does not fit oil, too big and does not fit Coolant, too small. I do not own an Mk6 but I think it might be an MK6 oil cap. You might need to find out or others might help decide. If you know an MK6 owner as them if they might want.

MORE INFO:
Had to come to the VW Dealer for some warranty work so asked the parts room about the oil cap. They ran the part number and it is for an R8. It is used on a 5.2L V10 only.
So, likely no help for an Golf, GTI or R.
If anyone knows an R8 owner with a 5.2L engine who is missing an oil cap I can hook them up. Guess I have a paper weight!

Dimension info if this helps:
OD - 61.02mm
Small diameter on bottom locking part - 38.38mm
Width of the metal locking wings on bottom - 47.10mm

IMG_2958.JPG

IMG_2959.JPG

IMG_2960.JPG

THIS ITEM HAS BEEN SPOKEN FOR! Thanks!
Item has been shipped!
Item 6 - Alcantara shift boot from OSIR. I ordered for DSG MK7 GTI. Not sure if it will fit a manual. Just decided not to install. New in bag, opened once. Red stitch for GTI.
IMG_2963.JPG

Last edited:

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
I wonder if that oil cap would fit a mk5 I have a buddy that would love it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I wonder if that oil cap would fit a mk5 I have a buddy that would love it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Hopefully some GTI experts can help.
If it helps I can take some measurements and post them.
I took a few pics so it might help.
Check on it and let me know.
A nice item.

My pics do not do justice. It is a nice piece.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Santa has Arrived! Take a look. (REMINDER)

Just a reminder to take a look at above post.
Also link below.
This is on the up. I have nothing to gain from this.
Just helping out fellow Forum Member if you can use these.
If you see something PM me and I can get it to you.:)
Lock sets are good quality.
Shifter boot is a nice item also.
The R8 oil cap is great just not sure what it fits!

If not claimed, the items will have to go to the island of lost toys.
You know what that is like, so help them find a good home.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=357552&postcount=586

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Driver Seat Warranty Work.

Prior to my 30,000 mile service I found the driver seat was tearing just under the plastic trim on the door side. Over time it would come up and be seen I am sure. At the Service visit they checked and ordered a new seat bottom. Went back Wednesday to have it installed and also had them look at the creaking sound I have with one lowering spring.

New Driver Bottom Seat - Leather.
The tear started from a hole cut in the lower seat that allows some of the metal seat frame to pass thru. From one corner it started to tear upward. No a great design I think as you are making a weak spot in this lower man made leather. I think having the black fabric that is on the stick side of the seat would be better in the long run. The leather needs to smooth out some but overall ok. I think the entire bottom was changed as the side bolsters feel tighter. Will relax some over time. Below are some before and after pics.

I guess a 30,000 mile GTI with new drive seat bottom is not too bad.:)
Just had to make the drive and spend half a day in Chattanooga.

Lowering Springs Creaking.
Village VW installed my ECS Spring Install kit and Eibach pro Kit Springs so had them checked for the cause of the sound. On a good note no issues found with Springs or mounts. The rubber on the end of the upper spring was rubbing against the rubber coated top spring mount. They lubricated with silicone spray. Drive home was quite. I thought about trying this but wanted them checked first. I will try Sailkote from now on and lube when needed and when car is jacked up for tire/wheel change 2 times a year.

Original Seat before replacement.
IMG_2965.JPG

Tear in seat.
tear.jpg

New Seat Bottom
IMG_2971.JPG

Dealer had a new R Oryx white, DCC and Nav - Manual.
IMG_2966.JPG

IMG_2969.JPG

Hulk1

Go Kart Champion
Prior to my 30,000 mile service I found the driver seat was tearing just under the plastic trim on the door side. Over time it would come up and be seen I am sure. At the Service visit they checked and ordered a new seat bottom. Went back Wednesday to have it installed and also had them look at the creaking sound I have with one lowering spring.

New Driver Bottom Seat - Leather.
The tear started from a hole cut in the lower seat that allows some of the metal seat frame to pass thru. From one corner it started to tear upward. No a great design I think as you are making a weak spot in this lower man made leather. I think having the black fabric that is on the stick side of the seat would be better in the long run. The leather needs to smooth out some but overall ok. I think the entire bottom was changed as the side bolsters feel tighter. Will relax some over time. Below are some before and after pics.

I guess a 30,000 mile GTI with new drive seat bottom is not too bad.:)
Just had to make the drive and spend half a day in Chattanooga.

Lowering Springs Creaking.
Village VW installed my ECS Spring Install kit and Eibach pro Kit Springs so had them checked for the cause of the sound. On a good note no issues found with Springs or mounts. The rubber on the end of the upper spring was rubbing against the rubber coated top spring mount. They lubricated with silicone spray. Drive home was quite. I thought about trying this but wanted them checked first. I will try Sailkote from now on and lube when needed and when car is jacked up for tire/wheel change 2 times a year.

Original Seat before replacement.
View attachment 12669

Tear in seat.
View attachment 12670

New Seat Bottom
View attachment 12671

Dealer had a new R Oryx white, DCC and Nav - Manual.
View attachment 12672

View attachment 12673

And w pretorias
Next car? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
And w pretorias
Next car? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I was going to get one this has all the items I would like in one (except DSG). Sorry, had a manual until I was 35. Like driving the DSG daily.
I think LSG would be a nice color also for an R.
No, I need to keep my GTI for now. After all the work I have done or had worked on I would hate to start over. Sitting in the R it felt a little empty with no sunroof, no big red paddle shifters. No tinted windows. No WeatherTech mats, etc.
This was the first set of Pretoria's I have seen in person. Very nice and I longed for them a while before I found my OZ Leggera wheels. I like the Leggera's more because they have thinner spokes and look more elegant.
Still the Pretoria's are nice. The GTI Sport Wheels is also nice.

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
I was off the week of Thanksgiving and on that Monday planned a Man's day out. Left home at 6AM for a 9AM Eastern time appointment at Village VW in Chattanooga. Pulled into the service bay and was getting my stuff out all the while a man was watching me from the curb. He had a VW shirt on along with a VW hat. As I walked by him to go inside, he started to ask me things about my car. He mentioned he had a GTI and while we talked they pulled it back around for pick up. He was an interesting guy as you can tell from his car. Mentioned how much he like it and had done 130mph in it. Asked if he was tuned? No! Did not ask how he did 130mph. Must coast well. He asked about my ECS Flush Spacers and offered to buy them. Told him I needed them to get home but he could order some from ECS Tuning.

During the Service they also performed the Fuel pump recall. Pulled in on empty, and after service no fuel smell. I did ask them to check a tear that has formed just below the surface on my drivers seat. There is a metal part in this area and it looks like the seat was scratched when seat installed or assembled at the plant. New seat bottom ordered and now I have to somehow get back to Chattanooga. Only a 3 hours round trip and on East Coast time. Warranty work is not free.
One bright spot and I must be getting old, but when I purchased my GTI they asked about the extended service work past the 10,000 mile service. I know I did not get the 40 - 50,000 mile service but did not remember that I had added the 20 - 30,000 mile service. So on this visit my cost was zero $. Getting old.

View attachment 12550
View attachment 12551
View attachment 12552

While waiting I looked at the Audi dealer next door and ran into a young Salesman who also owned an Mk6 GTI. He had cool Vanilla Ice hair. Nice guy. I looked at the TT-S they had inside on this cold day. Very nice. The seats are much better than the GTI's. Steering wheel is also great and the paddles are better positioned. A very good driving position.

View attachment 12553
View attachment 12554

In the afternoon I had my roof wrapped as mentioned prior in my build thread. JC who did the work is also a GTI owner so I had a good time talking about GTI's.

Later I headed home to the barren waste land of no GTI's but mine.
No one to talk to about GTI cars.:(

Well at least your dealer seems like a service friendly one but it sucks about the distance. From now on I won't bitch about dropping mine off . It's 3.5 miles from from my work and I can drop it off while on the clock.

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
Below is a link to my install of the ECS Jack Pads on my GTI.
Others have installed these but when I posted, some members questions if these lift points are intended for single point lifting. From looking at the underside lift points where these pads install I feel single point lifting should be ok, but planned to ask the VW Mechanic when I went in for my 30,000 mile service.

I asked Randy my Service Rep and he had not seen these installed before. I showed him the location and what they looked like. He said once on the lift he would get with the Mechanic and get his thoughts. I do not think the mechanic had seen the ECS pads (Actually OE VW parts) installed. He removed the front covers and looked at the lift locations and his conclusion was that single point lifting using these pads in the VW OE locations would work well. He thought the pads looked like a very good way to lift the car.

Might not mean anything but I have this documented on the service paperwork. Recommendations noted are that the "Lift points are good to use". I know this is one mechanic but it is the only confirmed info I have to go by. ECS Tuning did not really know and was giving me info based on MK6 and MK5 bodies.

Please share thoughts if you have better info on these.
I think they are a very safe lifting location but do not help much with jack stands as the lifting points are very close to the pinch weld. A flat rubber jack stand used on the jack pad might be better. Plan to buy some and try.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=340099&postcount=541

maybe a set of these?

Attachments

• esco.jpg
    esco.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 654

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Well at least your dealer seems like a service friendly one but it sucks about the distance. From now on I won't bitch about dropping mine off . It's 3.5 miles from from my work and I can drop it off while on the clock.

Yes, I like them so far.
Randy at the service desk is a car guy also. (USA cars I think)
But the distance and Eastern time zone makes it hard.

cldlhd

Go Kart Champion
I have looked at those very ones.
Felt I could floor jack up at the pinch weld with a rubber lifting puck and then place that stand on the ECS lifting pad. Now just have to spend more money. Christmas gift maybe. Thanks.

That's how I plan to do it. I have them but as much as I hate to admit it I haven't used them yet. I'm going to use a jack pad that doesn't have to deep a groove to avoid bottoming out. If you do get them they have a truck and a car model,which us lower obviously, but the truck one us more prevalent do you have to look around.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Santa has Arrived! Take a look. (REMINDER)

Still have the two sets of wheels locks and the Suede/Alcantara DSG Shift boot available.

I thought these would be the easy ones to give away.

If you need help on the locks we can talk to Tire Rack and see what might fit your wheels. The locks are good quality. Help prevent theft and it's free.

Take a look. Christmas countdown has started!:eek:

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=357552&postcount=586