GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Acadia's Build Thread With A Boring Title Currently

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Would I be able to do the screen only upgrade or will it need all the other goodies. (Trim, glovebox unit, ect....)
You would definitely need the trim and I am pretty sure you would also need the glove box unit. I don't think any US Golf Rs came with a Harman MIB2 High (Discover Pro) system (I think I read that Canadian Golf Rs had an option for it one year, but anyone is free to correct me). If your car had come with a Discover Pro, then the glove box unit could have been converted to support the 9.2" screen.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
yo
Would I be able to do the screen only upgrade or will it need all the other goodies. (Trim, glovebox unit, ect....)

You would definitely need the trim and I am pretty sure you would also need the glove box unit. I don't think any US Golf Rs came with a Harman MIB2 High (Discover Pro) system (I think I read that Canadian Golf Rs had an option for it one year, but anyone is free to correct me). If your car had come with a Discover Pro, then the glove box unit could have been converted to support the 9.2" screen.

Like Brent said, you'd need the glove box unit and trim. Nobody in the US got a car that can do just a straight screen swap unfortunately.

The good news is, I've already done the painful part. Spent the money not knowing exactly what this would be getting in to 🤣 Can get the Chinese Delphi unit and trim for about $400.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
yo
Just going to leave it like this for two weeks.

PXL_20230628_182819107.jpg

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
yo
You won't sleep at night

Sorry, I should have clarified more.

See, I sleep like a baby when I know what's wrong, and have a path to fix it. The defective screen has been sent out, I already ordered a replacement, and the seller seems pretty responsive about getting me a replacement as well. I sleep.

I can't sleep when I don't know what's wrong with the car, and don't know how I'm going to fix it. That's when it keeps me up at night. Real shit.

Although, it will bug the everloving fuck out of me for the next two weeks.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
yo
Also, once this is resolved and I have the 9.2" back in and working properly, that 8" glass screen and piano black trim will be up for grabs if anyone is interested. That one is a direct plug and play replacement for any MIB car if you have the 6.5" matte screen...

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Also, once this is resolved and I have the 9.2" back in and working properly, that 8" glass screen and piano black trim will be up for grabs if anyone is interested. That one is a direct plug and play replacement for any MIB car if you have the 6.5" matte screen...
Do you think you could fit a big black 12" or is that too big for it to be plug and play?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
yo
Do you think you could fit a big black 12" or is that too big for it to be plug and play?

Open to trying. My window is always unlocked at night...

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Is the 6.5" matte screen what's in my 2016 AB? I might be very interested if it's plug and play with no coding

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
yo
Is the 6.5" matte screen what's in my 2016 AB? I might be very interested if it's plug and play with no coding

Yes, it is. You go from this:

1687991843454.png

To this:

1687991861276.png

It is 100% plug and play for a 2016 Autobahn with no coding or anything. Just swap and done.

The only downside, which is highlighted in that second pic, is there is no faux honeycomb trim for it. Piano black is the most common one, which is what would come from me (since that's what the R's have). You can see how the trim piece isn't a perfect match. That doesn't bother some people, and they just rock it as-is. Some people wrap their trim in vinyl. Others do a full piano black trim swap (what I did ages ago in my GTI). The possibilities are endless.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1

View attachment 284845

To this:

View attachment 284846

It is 100% plug and play for a 2016 Autobahn with no coding or anything. Just swap and done.

The only downside, which is highlighted in that second pic, is there is no faux honeycomb trim for it. Piano black is the most common one, which is what would come from me (since that's what the R's have). You can see how the trim piece isn't a perfect match. That doesn't bother some people, and they just rock it as-is. Some people wrap their trim in vinyl. Others do a full piano black trim swap (what I did ages ago in my GTI). The possibilities are endless.
I'd be willing to do it just for the "App" button, having to click through the menu for AA every time is annoying as hell.

I hate piano black, so a full swap to that is out. Any way to buy the trim in honeycomb to match or is vinyl the only option? I'm pretty confident I can wrap it myself before I install it without much difficulty, just curious. What's your asking price?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
yo
I'd be willing to do it just for the "App" button, having to click through the menu for AA every time is annoying as hell.

I hate piano black, so a full swap to that is out. Any way to buy the trim in honeycomb to match or is vinyl the only option? I'm pretty confident I can wrap it myself before I install it without much difficulty, just curious. What's your asking price?

So the 'App' button may not work on a 2016. Meaning it just wouldn't do anything since you don't have an app button already. I'm not 100% sure on that.

And nope, no faux carbon trim available to buy. Would have to be wrapped.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
So the 'App' button may not work on a 2016. Meaning it just wouldn't do anything since you don't have an app button already. I'm not 100% sure on that.

And nope, no faux carbon trim available to buy. Would have to be wrapped.
Hmmm, that is disappointing but not a deal breaker. How do you get to the factory nav without a nav button?

Also, is there vinyl that matches the GTI trim pattern or would I have to wrap everything? I googled a bit, but came up empty.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
yo
Hmmm, that is disappointing but not a deal breaker. How do you get to the factory nav without a nav button?

Also, is there vinyl that matches the GTI trim pattern or would I have to wrap everything? I googled a bit, but came up empty.

Just to clear up some stuff.

The pics in this post below, aren't mine, just ones I grabbed off the internet to show a before/after. Sorry for any confusion.

View attachment 284845

To this:

View attachment 284846

The pic in this post below, is mine. So that's the exact screen I'd be offering. It has both a Nav & App button. The Nav button will work (although to answer your question, you can still go Menu > choose Nav from there). The App button might work, but I'm not sure. I know it would on a 2017, but think I read it won't work on a 2016 for some reason. The button would just do nothing if you pressed it.

Just going to leave it like this for two weeks.

View attachment 284818

And no, I've never seen a matching vinyl unfortunately. I tried doing the vinyl wrap, but didn't like any of the ones I tried. I tried a carbon fiber one, a matte black, and like a brushed metal aluminum one. Ended up just doing the full piano black trim swap lol.