GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Acadia's Build Thread With A Boring Title Currently

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
That place on your car isn't meant to hold that kind of load but you already know that. No point in explaining the right way I suppose
I'd appreciate the explanation of the right way

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I like how I could put audi jack thingys onto my golf r, but then I buy an audi and there's no place to put the jack thingys.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I used to jack all my previous cars from the subframe and the differential in the back.

Wonder how Jay feels about that.......

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
yo
$1300?
Don’t get the 3500 if you’re gonna get one… just do the 5000s, cars are only getting heavier and in 5 years when you get a EV Elantra or Camry you won’t be able to lift it for ceramic coating the wheels

$1300 is for the updated 5000TL. I wouldn't bother with the 3500 for the fact it doesn't lift as high as the 5000 anyway.

https://www.costco.com/quickjack-5000tl-portable-car-lift-system.product.100833778.html

It's routinely on sale for around that price right through them. It was just on sale for $1325 through QJ's own website for the 4th.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
yo
That place on your car isn't meant to hold that kind of load but you already know that. No point in explaining the right way I suppose

Nah, you can feel free to explain if you want. Some people might use it, some people might not.

"Why do you guys have such a hard time placing jack stands?" is the air of superiority.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
yo
Why do they gotta make the pinch welds so short? Why can't we have pinch welds wide enough to stick a jack stand next to the jack?

Why do you guys have such a hard time placing jack stands?

Also… you been jacking your car front there! That’s ballsy

If you want to talk about the "right way" and the "wrong way", according to VW the only proper jack points are the reinforced pinch weld sections at the 4 corners. Per the manual:

1688677628027.png

@sterkrazzy's comment isn't about jacking up a car being "hard". But if you're following VW's jacking guide and have your jack on the official jack point to lift the car, you very well can't fit a jack stand on the approved jack point also.

The last line clearly says "The vehicle must only be lifted by a jack positioned at one of the 4 jack lift points."

So to get all four corners on jack stands, one way or another, you have to put a jack where, per VW, it's not meant to be. Are some areas better than others to position the jack? Sure. But no matter where it is, it's wrong.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
@sterkrazzy's comment isn't about jacking up a car being "hard". But if you're following VW's jacking guide and have your jack on the official jack point to lift the car, you very well can't fit a jack stand on the approved jack point also.
You might be able to with the shitty widowmaker they're showing in the image. lol
That's where we've all screwed up. Use the approved VW jack!
My pinch weld is only about half an inch longer than the width of the pad on my jack.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Nah, you can feel free to explain if you want. Some people might use it, some people might not.

"Why do you guys have such a hard time placing jack stands?" is the air of superiority.
Eh whatever man. It was just a question because it's not something I've ever ran across being an issue enough to complain about. Sorry your feelings got hurt

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
yo
You know what solves all this back and forth and ensures things are done properly and safely?

Quickjacks.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
yo
@manu97 follow this video. Explains everything and tells you how to move the jack stands to the pinch welds if you're working on the subframe. Don't lift it from the center of the car.

I'll give it a watch. While I like to think I'm fairly good at jacking it, since my method gets the job done quickly, I'm not set in my ways. It's not like installing suspension with a 2x4 or not utilizing the service position, I'm open to changing if there's a better way available.

Eh whatever man. It was just a question because it's not something I've ever ran across being an issue enough to complain about. Sorry your feelings got hurt

Don't make me go in another whiny rant.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
yo