GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Acadia's Build Thread With A Boring Title Currently

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
yo
So what your saying is you might have a discounted screen soon? πŸ€”

That's exactly what I'm saying. I'll have a brand new unused screen available probably in (thinking optimistically) 2 - 4 weeks.

Best price I found shipped for the screen alone was $205.

Screenshot_20230628-113825.png

I'd hook someone up for $150 shipped.

If you think you might be interested, I can let you know when I get it in before posting it to the classifieds.

wascally wabbitt

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
That's exactly what I'm saying. I'll have a brand new unused screen available probably in (thinking optimistically) 2 - 4 weeks.

Best price I found shipped for the screen alone was $205.

View attachment 284789

I'd hook someone up for $150 shipped.

If you think you might be interested, I can let you know when I get it in before posting it to the classifieds.

So is the 5g6919606 screen and surround trim all that's needed to make this mod work if you have MIB2?

wascally wabbitt

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
You either need the special Chinese Delphi MIB2 unit that @Acadia18 purchased or you need a Harman MIB2 (MHI2) unit. The 9.2" screen will not work with the Delphi MIB2 (MST2) units in vehicles built for North America.
Ok, I think I see. So a NA-market MIB2 car would need both the 5g6919606 screen and a China-market MIB2?

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Ok, I think I see. So a NA-market MIB2 car would need both the 5g6919606 screen and a China-market MIB2?
Yes. A NAR MIB2 car would need the 9.2" screen, the trim surround, and either the Chinese Delphi MIB2, a brand new NAR Harman MIB2 unit (quite pricey), or a converted used Harman MIB2 unit (this is what I learned to do and was considering offering). I think S trim cars (from 2018+) need a cable extender because they do not have a unit in the glove box.

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
yo
Yes. A NAR MIB2 car would need the 9.2" screen, the trim surround, and either the Chinese Delphi MIB2, a brand new NAR Harman MIB2 unit (quite pricey), or a converted used Harman MIB2 unit (this is what I learned to do and was considering offering). I think S trim cars need a cable extender because they do not have a unit in the glove box.

That only starts in 2018+. 2016/2017 S models still had a MIB unit in the glovebox.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
yo
I'll do a write-up at some point with all my info in the electronic sub forum, since not everybody reads builds threads. But after spending some time with it, I think this is unit is a good option IF you solely use a third party service like Android Auto\Apple Car Play. Given that it's missing US based navigation and satellite radio (both things solved by AA\CP), I can't see the point or benefit if you're not using those features.

wascally wabbitt

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
Thanks guys, sounds like a potentially good upgrade path especially for AA and CP map users.

Do you not miss the volume knob?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I personally always use the controls on the steering wheel... partially because I never got a sticker for the control knob and having the power indicator not oriented correctly drove me crazy.
This is correct. I haven't used a volume knob since MIB 1 😁.

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
yo
Thanks guys, sounds like a potentially good upgrade path especially for AA and CP map users.

Do you not miss the volume knob?

I wanted the upgrade specifically to get rid of the volume knob!!!

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Would I be able to do the screen only upgrade or will it need all the other goodies. (Trim, glovebox unit, ect....)

wascally wabbitt

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
I wanted the upgrade specifically to get rid of the volume knob!!!

That stupid power on symbol rotating with the knob triggers my OCD. I don't think I'd miss it, especially since the 9.2" screen at least illuminates the buttons unlike the Mk8 slider abomination

khail19

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
I personally always use the controls on the steering wheel... partially because I never got a sticker for the control knob and having the power indicator not oriented correctly drove me crazy.

LOL, I thought I was the only person in the world that was bothered by this! I think I'm going to have to order this sticker you speak of.