GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Acadia Does Hoodrat Shit With His MK8. Somehow Spends More Money Than Anticipated. One Of The Great Mysteries Of The Universe.

timmyturbo

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
yo

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
yo
Overall, I'm actually impressed with how the seller has handled it so far. They gave me a label to ship the defective screen to a US address, and said once it's on its way they'll order a replacement.

1687956620836.png

Given that it's an AliExpress seller in Guangzhou, not Amazon, I can't really complain with their resolution.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
yo
So on my lunch break today, I'll pull the 9.2" screen and MIB unit out, swap the old back in, and send the screen out. Still leaving the spare I ordered on order. Just in case...

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
yo
So @Cuzoe @brentgti here's what I'm thinking.

Use https://mst2fecgen.mibsolution.one/ to generate a 09410008 FEC for my car. Can then use OBD11 to load that FEC to the car. Which should then let the maps from my SD card load.

Solid plan, or is there something I'm missing? Potential to fuck things up?

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I think navigational FECs get weird when the unit's region does not match, but it's not something I have dealt with before. You could entertain my unsubstantiated theory which would be to rename the folder directory on the NAR SD card from maps/01 to maps/02. 02 should be the code for China so if the check is not sophisticated, it might just load the NAR map thinking it is China.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
yo
Maybe I should just abandon this whole US maps pursuit then 🤣

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
The idea with renaming the directory structure would be that the unit's region is already China (well depending on all the coding and the patch the seller did) and I think you have an FEC for China maps. So if the unit thinks the SD card is for China, then it should theoretically all work. Theoretically.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
yo
The idea with renaming the directory structure would be that the unit's region is already China (well depending on all the coding and the patch the seller did) and I think you have an FEC for China maps. So if the unit thinks the SD card is for China, then it should theoretically all work. Theoretically.

I can give it a try. Just rename the directory on the SD and plop it in, no changes to the unit itself?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
yo
That's right. If 02 doesn't work, you could also try 00 since if I recall correctly, the seller said something about it working with European maps.

Alright. Renamed the folder, heading back out to the car. Not expecting this to work, just because it's so simple. But will let you know in a few minutes 🤣

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
yo
No dice.

1687961744428.png

brentgti

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Unfortunate. You could also try 00 in case they actually did make some changes for it to work with European maps. Not super confident in it, but worth a shot due to simplicity.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
So what your saying is you might have a discounted screen soon? 🤔