GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MirrorLink (Smartphone screen on Car screen) for MkVII?

=JM=

The title says it all. You've probably heard about MirrorLink, but in case you had not, please check this website:
http://www.mirrorlink.com/about-mirrorlink

Basically this technology mirrors the screen of your Smartphone to the screen of your car.

Infotainment of VW Polo, which is supposed to be identical to the one in Golf VII, supports MirrorLink. Have you got any news, that this function is coming to our Golfs as an upgrade? Or maybe someone who bought a Golf recently has got such function already?

jedeacon94

The title says it all. You've probably heard about MirrorLink, but in case you had not, please check this website:
http://www.mirrorlink.com/about-mirrorlink

Basically this technology mirrors the screen of your Smartphone to the screen of your car.

Infotainment of VW Polo, which is supposed to be identical to the one in Golf VII, supports MirrorLink. Have you got any news, that this function is coming to our Golfs as an upgrade? Or maybe someone who bought a Golf recently has got such function already?

So just bought a new polo, and stupidly didn't upgrade to Mirror Link, can I do something to install it?

Or is it hardware, or just software related?

scarabeo

Golf arriving next week with the 5.8" composition media infotainment system. Will be following this thread.

I would mainly like to use mirrorlink to display the navigation off my phone to the screen. Would be better than having to stick the phone up when going on new routes.

Random1

I have had no luck with my GTI... I don't think the US model supports it. There is barely any information about it in the first place. I am going to dig into it tonight and see what I can find.

Faithback

Earlier this month I was onto getting Polo with Composition Media + Mirrorlink. But non are available (as yet). Dealer told me there were software incompatibility issues. After producing the first batch, the mirror link was temporarily suspended. This corroborated what I read in Car Magazine where the factory VW representative answered a question as to what were some of the main challenges in production of new Polo said "Electronics".

That said, I did see a Polo with the setup at dealership and got the VIN number. So I'll be following up with parts for part numbers.

The modularity of these systems means the systems will be upgradable even in the Golf. Software versions might be the only thing getting in the way.

James75

Go Kart Champion
As I understand it at present - in a VW you will need phone prep.

I don't know much more than that, but interesting post. I look forward to part numbers and clarification on what head unit you need and if phone prep is required (to improve signal)

James

corfyboy

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi guys vw are pulling mirror link system and anyone that has ordered it should get a refund to many issues to guarantee stability

James75

Go Kart Champion
There's no reason why it can't go into standard composition media, that's the point of it to some degree. It's a menu option that's all. I'd hope it is a firmware update. Also got apple car play as well. Have to be honest VW in the UK has dragged it's heels on this kind of connectivity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlewando

Ready to race!
There's no reason why it can't go into standard composition media, that's the point of it to some degree. It's a menu option that's all. I'd hope it is a firmware update. Also got apple car play as well. Have to be honest VW in the UK has dragged it's heels on this kind of connectivity.

Well, let's imagine you just create "mirror" connection of your iPhone or any other smartphone in Composition Media and use Google Maps on the Infotainment Screen. That would make happy a lot of users! But VW wouldn't hit a bullet in their knees making such decision because there is Discovery Media on the market which is 2x expensive as CMS ...

James75

Go Kart Champion
Yes you're right. I still think there's a place for factory sat navs but there's no denying the idea of linking our smart device makes so much sense. As I understand it with Polo you have to have phone prep to boost the phone signal. That might be a barrier to retro fit. Loss of phone signal here in Devon is a real problem so I would be interested to see how it all works