GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake Caliper pad contact area - Germans different than Japanese?

Drewpul

Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen TDI
This is my first time doing a brake job on my vw (or any German car for that matter). In the past I've done brakes on my Honda and my sister's Nissan.

The spot where the pads go always gets gunked up with pad dust and rust. I plan to wire brush this out to get it nice and clean:

IMG_1346.jpg

When I've done the brakes on my Honda, they would always come with a little stainless steel piece that would sit into the caliper like so.. (holding up the one from my honda in the picture). What I liked about this is it would ensure there is always a cleaner rust-free surface the pads would slide against.

I searched around, and it does not seem that these are used on Volkswagens. Firstly, wanted to confirm this is the case. And also, any tips on keeping rust from building back up? I purchased the proper brake lube at FCP Euro and will ensure to cover that entire surface.

IMG_1347.jpg

Drewpul

Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen TDI
Are you sure? Of all the brake pads and brake pad kits listed on FCP Euro, there are only a couple that show this clip pictured. And it looks like they only have it available for the rear. I don't see any pads that have it listed for the front. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-vw-disc-brake-pad-retaining-clip-rear-vag-8p0615231a

My 2015 sportwagen does not have them, nor the calipers I pulled off a 2016 GTI. The TRW pads I purchased did not come with this.